Vertical Alignment

vchris

I've already searched a bit on google and was able to find examples of what I wanted but the only problem is that the div isn't 100% width anymore.Is there a way to have text within a div to be centered vertically and the div have 100% width and be valid?

Ok I have a banner div that is something like 80 px height and 100% width. I have a background on the left and the rest is blue. I also have some text in this area beside the background image.I've seen that site before Caligo and the problem with it is the div looses it's 100% width or am I wrong?

Ok I have a banner div that is something like 80 px height and 100% width. I have a background on the left and the rest is blue. I also have some text in this area beside the background image.I've seen that site before Caligo and the problem with it is the div looses it's 100% width or am I wrong?
The inner div (containing the text) would not be 100% of the window, it would be 100% of the outer div. If the outer div is the outer most div then that one would be 100%, therefore you would get within a couple pixels of 100%. Though, in reality I think you could have them both 100% without borders and they both should end up being 100% of the window.If my ramblings don't make any sense let me know and I'll try to explain them differently.

is there any easier method than this? this problem is a huge a pain and seems totally counter-intuitive, especially when design based on the table model does it so easily. i would like to not have to resort to using tables, but until a newer version of css comes out that addresses the vertical-align property not working intuitively, i've found using a table to be much less of a headache than the div-within-a-div-within-a-div plus SIX additional classes just to vertically align content in a single element. is that really easier than this:<div id="foo" class="bar"><table style="width: 100%; height: 100%;"><tr><td style="width: 100%; height: 100%;" valign="middle">content</td></tr></table></div>this solution won't win you any awards, but if you have other things to worry about than HTML Tidy giving you 0 errors and 0 warnings, then the second solution is the way to go

I guess other available solutions depending on the situation are padding the top of the text and relative/absolute positioning.

I guess other available solutions depending on the situation are padding the top of the text and relative/absolute positioning.
id agree. it really depends on the situation what you can do, at least until they get the vertical align property working.