Where is that menu?

Ruud Hermans

Hey, I thought of trying to learn Visual Basic.NET so I downloaded Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition and got it running.However I got a book witch tells me there should be a menu called server explorer on my left hand (ore where ever) but it's not there and I can't find it nowhere. Could any one point me out where it should be?Also when I open a file MusicTrivia.vbproj for example I only get the source code how can I change this?Ruud Hermans

Yes I believe the Database explorer is the same as Server Explorer.When you say you only get source code you mean the form design files are not there???Are you developing this for the web or for a desktop app?If you want to develop for Web you will need Visual web Developer Express.To clarify the Express editions are free stripped down versions of VS. VB express allows you to only create VB desktop apps, and C# express - c#desktop apps. VWD allows you to create only web apps in either C# or VB

When you say you only get source code you mean the form design files are not there???
Yes, ore I must be blind but if I'm right there should be a tab to that shows the project at least that is how it's displayed in my book. :) Ruud Hermans

can you show me a screen shot of the projects Solution Explorer (CTRL+ALT+L) (please fully expand it)?
We'll I could but it's empty. :) All I get to see is the follwing when I open a MusicTrivia.vbproj.user:
<VisualStudioProject>	<VisualBasic>		<Build>			<Settings ReferencePath = "" >				<Config					Name = "Debug"					EnableASPDebugging = "false"					EnableASPXDebugging = "false"					EnableUnmanagedDebugging = "false"					EnableSQLServerDebugging = "false"					RemoteDebugEnabled = "false"					RemoteDebugMachine = ""					StartAction = "Project"					StartArguments = ""					StartPage = ""					StartProgram = ""					StartURL = ""					StartWorkingDirectory = ""					StartWithIE = "false"				/>				<Config					Name = "Release"					EnableASPDebugging = "false"					EnableASPXDebugging = "false"					EnableUnmanagedDebugging = "false"					EnableSQLServerDebugging = "false"					RemoteDebugEnabled = "false"					RemoteDebugMachine = ""					StartAction = "Project"					StartArguments = ""					StartPage = ""					StartProgram = ""					StartURL = ""					StartWorkingDirectory = ""					StartWithIE = "false"				/>			</Settings>		</Build>		<OtherProjectSettings			CopyProjectDestinationFolder = ""			CopyProjectUncPath = ""			CopyProjectOption = "0"			ProjectView = "ProjectFiles"		/>	</VisualBasic></VisualStudioProject>

Ruud Hermans

ok, does this always happen?in the project folder are the files there and just not showing in VBE?If so, backup the files and uninstall VBE,.Net, and IIS (in that order) and install them in the reverse order.Can you see the project files now?