A Few Questions

Vicebeach

hi and welcome to the forums. you have a lot of very good questions, so for the sake of over explaining them, I'll offer some general information and then you can ask meto elaborate as needed.a.) Could anyone tell me about CMS and how it works?CMS stands for Content Management System (for those who do not know). Basically its a web application that allows a user/administrator to log onto a website and enter/upload content for a website. There are plenty of variations - ones that literally run off of one page (simple) and ones that actually create and allow you to manage a static web page (complex). The CMS system is a combination of server side scripting pages (asp, php, cold fusion) that interact with a database (sql, mysql, oracle) which is where all the content is stored. Images and other documents (pdf, doc, ppt, zip) are usually uploaded and stored in a folder and then tracked in the database as references or assets that can be related to content by using the administration tool.b.) Is it possible to have one where its uploaded to the webspace then the site can be updated via a webpage?Yes. In fact, that is pretty much the only way to have it done. Many CMS systems are purchased then downloaded to your local machine. Then you unzip and upload the files to your hosting service. Instructions should be included to guide you through creating the database and connecting to it. Finally, there is typically some other configuration needed that related to you domain name, email, and actusly physical location of files on the hosted server.c.) How I can set up a payment method for my website?Depends on what you are talking about. If you want a shopping cart, then you will need to buy one just as you bought a CMS system. Same concept, admin tools to set up products and prices and you buy/download the product then upload and configure with the same consideration as CMS. Be sure to check to see if the one you buy has a variety of payment gateway modules - so you are not locked into one.d.) Also how can I set up an automatic email when someone would purchase something?This is just a feature that is typically included in the shopping cart. So make sure you look for it when shopping.e.) how do I go about making the payment secure?Your hosting service most likely has a shared SSL certifcate for you to use. So if your domain name is w3schools.com then your shared SSL url mght be https://shared101.hostingcompany.com/w3schoolsThey make one url and then set up virtual folders for each hosting account they have. Then your pages should have something coded to ensure that the page is only loaded in SSL environment.f.) if all you need is a single page payment and not a full blwn shopping cart, then you need to find or learn the programming for that. Its a form that loads in SSL and posts to a database. (basically).

Hey, thanks very much for explaining. I understand the CMS thing, could you reccomend a good, simple program I can use? The payment part I didnt really understand. Basically Im looking for a way to be payed by a client without cheques or cash. Im not really sure how it works. Say I make a website for someone that lives a long way away, would I get payed first or after and how? Also could you explain a bit more about the SSL thing please? Thanks again! :) Vicebeach
Ok, I understand what you mean completely now.First, the CMS. There are tons of CMS applications. I build a very simply, albeit cheesey, one several years ago that I still sell from time to time to real cheap people I run into. Its Cold Fusion based and works pretty well, but I sell it as a last resort to folks who need something quick and dirty. As fro a recommendation, I can't really give one. The best thing to do is to simply come up with a list of features that you need. If you have no idea what you need, then sit down with the client (or ust yourself) and draw a wish list of things you wish you could do. Don't be shy, most of what you might think is not possible is already being done - I've seen this with many clients (holding back their ideas because they think its impossbile). After that, you will need to figure out which hosting service you want to use to ensure that the CMS system will work - mainly just that the hosting service runs the same scripting language and database the CMS system is coded in.As for payment - I wasn't sure you were talking about a shopping cart (and you're not), so this is easy. I live in Chicago (full time employed here) and I have clients I manage on the side from when I used to live the Washington DC. For established clients, we discuss the work - I offer a quote - they say yes - I develop - They approve - Its goes live - I send a bill - they pay me with a check. For new clients its very similar only that I ask for half the money before development can begin.I do this in confidence because I have FTP access to their site - so i can shut it down temporarily if i need (if I do not get paid in a reasonable amount of time and diplomacy has failed).Hope this helps - let me know if you need more information.