My first professional site

ible-white

did you do the artwork at the top? if you did, try using illustrator or fireworks for the text; as it is, it's a little hard to read and definitely looks fuzzy......other than that, everything looks pretty good. someone mentioned earlier that the yellow bar should come out of the hover image, and i agree with that. it's a little distracting...love,jason

yup. you are certainly right. it is calendar and not calender. shame on me! :):) hhhmmm..... i did use fireworks for all the images. ok.whats fuzzy? the entire header image or the text?well, i think i've got me a bad problem tho. i use dreamweaver- but only in code view now. all of a sudden when i open dreamweaver and try to do anything, i am getting a fatal error where the program has to close. thats nooot good at all, cause my cd & dvd drives need some attending to, which means that i cant reinstall the program. hmmmmm..... anyway- thats just by the way....

well, i think i've got me a bad problem tho. i use dreamweaver- but only in code view now. all of a sudden when i open dreamweaver and try to do anything, i am getting a fatal error where the program has to close. thats nooot good at all, cause my cd & dvd drives need some attending to, which means that i cant reinstall the program. hmmmmm..... anyway- thats just by the way....
Would that by any chance be when you hover over the "Command" menu?

Would that by any chance be when you hover over the "Command" menu?
nope. if i simply open a file and edit any lil thing- especially if i try to save, i get that error. let me see if i can open it and see what the error actually says. i know it says something about javascript and something about the File_Save.htm and File_Save.js files in the macromedia folder.hhmmm.. its playing games on me now-- playing cute. but i'm not digging the cutenes cause it happened toooo many times. so- yesterday i started going thru this thread about html editors-- i'm gonna try a few of them then pick 1 or 2. but i really like dreamweaver tho. :)

Might want to change the ampersands from the typewritten '&' to the html-entity & in the link labels to avoid Validator errors.
yeah- thats true.thanks for reminding me of that!

Hi,I am doing this site for a maritime organization.It's not completed as yet--> It's just 5 days of work so far.CLICK HERE FOR THE SITEAnyway- I just wanted to hear what you think of it so far.Don't try to soften the blows- just yell it out!Any suggestions, comments, critiques?ps- This is actually my first professional site, so i neeeed to impress! (I was asked- so why turn it down? :) )thx
Nice website :)

When you hover over months in the calendar, the months seem to move to the left and specially for month "may", it appears slightly odd. if that how you wanted it, just ignare this......
.calender_year a:hover .month {	background:transparent; 	display:block; 	width:350px; 	height:20px; 	font-size:13px; 	font-family:georgia, "times new roman", serif; 	overflow:hidden; 	text-decoration:none; 	color:#000000; 	text-align:left;	padding:0 5px;	cursor:default;	}

Possibly due to the text-align:left when onhover?

On the left navbar it seems a bit tacky to have "-->" as the marker. I would use a graphic. Also, while surfing through the left nav bars, they change alot. That could probably get someone confused and/or lost on your page.ex:Topic: About MARAD*first page left nav*-brief history-how we evolved-MARAD functions-Challenges--------------------*after clicking on Brief History*-Brief History-->-How we evolved-MARAD Functions-Challenges-The Structure--------------------Wouldn't you want the left nav bar to stay the same through-out that category? Just seems like you would.

• 1 month later...
Hi,I am doing this site for a maritime organization.It's not completed as yet--> It's just 5 days of work so far.CLICK HERE FOR THE SITEAnyway- I just wanted to hear what you think of it so far.Don't try to soften the blows- just yell it out!Any suggestions, comments, critiques?ps- This is actually my first professional site, so i neeeed to impress! (I was asked- so why turn it down? :) )thx
For your first website, its pretty good ^__^ !Before you design, research a little on color theory and layout.check out monstertemplate.com for layout ideas. The bubbled look is kind of over done, unless you have a balance of image shape and etc. If you can study on design (direction,balance, positive/negative space, and etc.)• one problem that occured with me is that your layout isn't aligned in IE7. make sure your code is xml strict and that it validates. knowing the code and using them correctly can fix most of the compatability issues with different browsers.good luck and have fun with it!

Just to be hounest: that was not the best I've seen. I really didn't like the colour (I have troubles finding colors for my site though), and the font was "disgussing". I like the pictures that got some details, like that yellow (what's it called in English again), hmm...Rope! I meant a rope!

• 3 weeks later...

My monitor is set to 1440x990 res, which makes your site darn near impossble to read. I would recommend you offer a text resizer for folks like me.I don't know if you've done another version of this site lately. If not, it's time to update the copyright already. (I still have to do it on some of mine---ahhhh the little things.)On my monitor, it's actually tough to read the title of the site. The back shadow does help, but I'm still squinting.You might want to try white lettering for your center header. It would stand out a bit better.I think the yellow on the home button looks like bad mustard. I know some folks seemed to have issues with brighter yellows given past comments, but try to get away from the greeny yellow. You might also want to consider centering the text on your link buttons.I know it's a maritime site, but gosh is it BLUE. You might want to even try using good ol' white for your buttons. Something to break up the color.You're already running into some consistency issues for your format. In your NEWS section, sometimes there are breaks between words and the ellipses, sometimes not, and sometimes there are no ellipses, which naturally lead into the READ MORE.Due to the gradient on the button, since you used mixed cases on Latest Highlights, it's a little tough to read. Also, when you use button/highlight backgrounds for your titles and headers, you don't leave much white space above and below the text of those titles and headers. Until we know how much text you need to truly cram onto that page, give youself some breathing room, and make those button/highlights a bit taller.Actually, I would considering using the yellow from the flag (that's semiphore--yes?) as your yellow color. You're not using it on too large of areas at present, and it is a smooth light yellow, which shouldn't give you too many problems. And, the rope isn't too much deeper as a color, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with the non-matching yellows there.The calculator and calendar are nice, but what are they really for? Figuring out weight converstions? Will the calendar lead to events relevant to the page, such as tide charts or fishing tourneys? Unless the client asked for them, widgets like that should have a purpose or not be included.The site seems to be developing along nicely, given what I saw on the other links to older renditions. But it still seems a bit jammed, and gosh, is it blue! Keep at it, you seem to be getting the hang of things.

Nice job =)The date could be placed a bit higher above the navigation, and changed to yellow. I don't know if you can change this, but the URL is too damn long.

Somebody will have mentioned this...But the "LATEST HIGHLIGHTS" box's text doesnt fit in the box and the rounded corner images still arent aligned! (for me anyway!!)Otherwise its decent =]