How session handling is done in HTTP

vijay1440

Hi!I want to know how the session handling is done in HTTP in a detailed way. About the way in which the Cookies are used, i am a bit familiar about. But i want to know how the session handling is done in the remaining ways. I want also to know what will be the Web-browser's role in maintaining the user's sessions. What the data that the browser will send to the web-server in order to maintain the user session.Thanks much for any help,Vijay

When a session is created for a user, a unique SessionID is created by the server for that session. Any data that is stored on the server for a particular session (like the contents of a shopping cart) have a reference to that SessionID. This data is stored in the memory of the server.When a user sends a request to the server, the server has to be told the SessionID for that user's session. The way most web applications deal with this is either appending a special code to the URL or by storing the SessionID value in a cookie on the users computer. The server reads that code and then loads up the session data.