Guest c2k2e

"value-of select=" syntax question

Guest c2k2e

I am having problems using a form that runs ASP code to generate an XML file that displays using an XSL file. I cannot find the syntax to use in the "value-of" statement for the format the XML is in. The XML tags are in the following heirarchy: DATA/FIELD/VALUE. Each VALUE tag has an ID attribute, this is what I am not able to display the text from in the XSL code. I would prefer not to use a for-each statement as each VALUE text entry needs to be formatted differently in the XSL (HTML).Here is my code:MAIN.XML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><?xml:stylesheet type='text/xsl' href='main.xsl'?><data>    <field>        <value id="date">11/25/2005</value>        <value id="audience">To All Personnel:</value>        <value id="message">There are no scheduled outages.</value>    </field></data>

MAIN.XSL (HTML removed for clarity)Problem with the xsl:value-of select="data/field/value" statement.

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:template match="/"><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value" /><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value" /><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value" /></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

SAVE.ASP

<%dim xmlDocdim rootEl,fieldName,fieldValue,attIDdim p,pi,i	'Do not stop if an error occursOn Error Resume NextSet xmlDoc = server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")xmlDoc.preserveWhiteSpace=true	'Create a root and field element and append it to the documentSet rootEl = xmlDoc.createElement("data")Set fieldName = xmlDoc.createElement("field")xmlDoc.appendChild rootElrootEl.appendChild fieldName	'Loop through the form collectionfor i = 1 To Request.Form.Count   'Eliminate button elements in the form  if instr(1,Request.Form.Key(i),"btn_")=0 then     'Create a value element and an id attribute    Set fieldValue = xmlDoc.createElement("value")    Set attID = xmlDoc.createAttribute("id")     'Set the value of the id attribute equal to the name of the current form field    attID.Text = Request.Form.Key(i)     'Append the id attribute to the field element    fieldValue.setAttributeNode attID     'Set the value of the value element equal to the value of the current form field    fieldValue.Text = Request.Form(i)     'Append the value element as a child of the field element    fieldName.appendChild fieldValue  end ifnext	'Add an XML processing instruction and insert it before the root elementSet p = xmlDoc.createProcessingInstruction("xml","version='1.0'")Set pi = xmlDoc.createProcessingInstruction("xml:stylesheet","type='text/xsl' href='main.xsl'")xmlDoc.insertBefore pi,xmlDoc.childNodes(0)xmlDoc.insertBefore p,xmlDoc.childNodes(0)	'Save the XML filexmlDoc.save (Server.Mappath("main.xml"))	'Release all object referencesset xmlDoc=nothingset rootEl=nothingset fieldName=nothingset fieldValue=nothingset attID=nothingset p=nothingset pi=nothing	'Test to see if an error occurredif err.number<>0 then  response.write("Error: No information saved.")else  response.write("Your information has been saved.")end if%>

FORM.HTM

<FORM ACTION="save.asp" METHOD="post"><p><b>Notification Date: </b><input type="text" name="date" size="43" tabindex="1" style="font-weight: 700"></font></p><p><b>Audience: </b><input type="text" name="audience" size="43" tabindex="2" style="font-weight: 700"></font></p><p><b>Message: </b><textarea name="message" rows="6" name="S1" cols="40" tabindex="3"></textarea></font></p><p><input type="reset" value="Reset" id="btn_res" name="btn_res" tabindex="4" style="width: 75">   <input type="submit" value="Submit" id="btn_sub" name="btn_sub" tabindex="5" style="width: 75"></p></FORM>

Let me know if this is not clear or if you need more info. i shouldn't have any coding errors, if it look slike it, it is because I accidentally removed something in this forum when removing the HTML. Right now everything works except it displays the first VALUE entry 3 times instead of each of the 3 individually (since I don't know how to specify the VALUE ID).Thanks!Chris

To get a value of an attribute you use <xsl:value-of select="@attributename" />edit: or do you mean you want to use the attribute values in the xsl code so that all 3 of the value tags are displayed correctly and not just the first one 3 times? If so you can do this using XPath, specifically by identifying the position of the element you wish to extract the data from within its parent node. See http://www.w3schools.com/xpath/xpath_syntax.asp

So in other words, I guess the XSL you need is:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:template match="/"><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value[@date]" /><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value[@audience]" /><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value[@message]" /></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

So in other words, I guess the XSL you need is:
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:template match="/"><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value[@date]" /><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value[@audience]" /><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value[@message]" /></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

Or just this<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:template match="/"><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value/@date" /><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value/@audience" /><xsl:value-of select="data/field/value/@message" /></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>