Building a table on the fly

halfhand

I have a problem here that is beyond the scope of my limited XSL knowledge. I have a bit of xml that is coming from a third party that I need to format into an xml table. The xml I am getting looks like this: <cells> <cell row="0" column="0"> <data>1</data> </cell> <cell row="0" column="1"> <data>2</data> </cell> <cell row="0" column="2"> <data>3</data> </cell> <cell row="1" column="0"> <data>Insert a hickey doo</data> </cell> <cell row="1" column="1"> <data>Test</data> </cell> <cell row="1" column="2"> <data>Text</data> </cell> </cells>I'm completely stumped as to how to do this. How can I take this list and break it into rows? Is there some way to layout a nested for-each to manage this? I appreciate any help of thoughts anyone has.

This was covered in detail just two posts agoCheck out: Using XSLT to convert a XML file to a table in HTML ???
I did see that, but I had tried something similar to one of the posted solutions that didn't work. I have since delved deeper into a different linked solution and I think it will work out. Thanks for the reply and sorry for the superfluous post.

I did see that, but I had tried something similar to one of the posted solutions that didn't work. I have since delved deeper into a different linked solution and I think it will work out. Thanks for the reply and sorry for the superfluous post.
I misspoke in my initial post. What I was trying to transform the xml structure to was not just an XML table but an XSL <fo:table>. Since nothing I was able to find here on the forums led me in the right direction, I thought I would post the solution for anyone else who might also be looking for an answer to this problem.
<xsl:template match="spreadsheet">	<fo:table>	<fo:table-body>		<xsl:apply-templates select="cells/cell">		<xsl:sort select="@row"/>		<xsl:sort select="@column"/>		</xsl:apply-templates>	</fo:table-body>	</fo:table>	</xsl:template>		<xsl:template match="cell"> 	  	  <fo:table-cell xsl:use-attribute-sets="tablecells">		<xsl:if test="@row != preceding-sibling::*[1]/@row">			   <xsl:attribute name="starts-row">true</xsl:attribute>		</xsl:if>	  <fo:block><xsl:value-of select="data" /></fo:block>	  </fo:table-cell>	  </xsl:template>

Although I haven't tried it I think it might also provide a more elegant solution to some of the "Building a dynamic HTML table" problems I've seen.It took me a lot of time to get here and I hope this saves some other newbie a headache or is at least useful to someone.