Introduce Yourself

Chocolate570

My mane is Greg K, I'm 26 years old and I'm a concept artist / php,mysql, ajax programmer. W3 is my top reference and I was thrilled to finally notice that there was a forum associated with it. Can't believe I haven't noticed it earlier.

Set oConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")sConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _			  "Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("\UserName\db\dbname.mdb") & ";" & _			  "Persist Security Info=False"oConn.Open(sConnection)'...oConn.Close

You replace Username with your actual user name. Do you have your database in the db folder of your account? It will not work anywhere else.Did you upload an existing database or use their database manager to create a new one?

I made one online at them. Look at my code now:
<%Set oConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")sConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _			  "Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("c:\sites\content\a\n\d\andersmoen\db\anders.mdb") & ";" & _ // This is my path to the database.			  "Persist Security Info=False"oConn.Open(sConnection)'...oConn.Close%>

Here's the error message I get:

Server.MapPath() error 'ASP 0172 : 80004005' Invalid Path /a/n/d/andersmoen/index.asp, line 11 The Path parameter for the MapPath method must be a virtual path. A physical path was used.
And it says my path is at my control panel: c:\sites\content\a\n\d\andersmoenand with database it'll be c:\sites\content\a\n\d\andersmoen\db\news.mdbI seriously start hating Microsoft for making it so difficult now:PEdit: I created a new topic in ASP so we don't get too off topic here :)Click here to continue this discussion about connecting to database in ASP

Hello everyone,My name is Abdul Karim. I designed and developed NotJustBrowsing for myself and for you.Now that I am here, you can ask me as many questions as you wish about NotJustBrowsing, though I may not be able to answer all of your questions.By the way, NotJustBrowsing is a browser, at least I think so.

I personally did not like http://notjustbrowsing.com/ the browser maybe great I have not seen it or used it!!!

the browser and the site look horrible. Explain to me how you making up bunch of (generaly useless) features makes it a 3rd generation browser. What do you mean you think it is a browser???Does the browser pass the Acid2 test? How does your standards compliance compare to Firefox or Opera???I'm sorry for being rude but it is laughable if you think you can get people to use your browser, if that is really what it is!

This area is for people to introduce themselves. You may say here that I look horrible.We should talk about "how horrible?" in some other section, I assume.
If you want to get technical you are rpomoting your product in the introduction section and furthermore this forum doesn't permit asdvertising of products.

What is a 3rd generation browser?? If Firefox 3rd gen or is it 2nd or 1st???

OKay...but some stuff about XHTML 2 and CSS3 has been released...i have some PDF's from W3CDoes second gen include SVG??Is IE7 Second Gen??

IE7 is 2nd gen, although the least advanced 2nd gen. Yes some XHTML2 and CSS3 has been release but it is not in use and his browser does nto support it, so it cannot be claimed as a 3rd gen browser.I think SVG is part of 2nd gen.

The specs are always open for people to review. The first spec for XHTML2 I believe was published in the summer of 2006. It will go through several different revisions before they decide to call it stable and recommend that browser vendors implement it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,I have been making websites since I was 7, but when I found W3Schools, my life changed! I had no way of learning other WebLanguages before my 11th birthday, but I stumbled over this brilliant Website looking for a tag to genereate moving images. I now know it is still the "Img src" tag.Praise for W3Schools!!!!!

Welcome Fermat..I am sure you will enjoy it here!

Hi folks,Thought I'd give a small introduction. My name is Douglas, known to my friends as either Dug or Shuggy. My first degree was in music, but towards the end I thought I'd be happier in computing, so I'm now doing web development.I am knowledgeable in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, ASP, ASP.NET, SQL and Python CGI. Web server wise I'm knowledgeable in Apache 2 and IIS. Also familiar with MySQL databases, including applications like Query Browser and Administrator. I really want to be a website programmer, however it is very hard to get a job without commercial experience, so any advice would be welcome. I've done a short course at Paisley Uni and that covered everything I'm knowledgable in, and I still continue to teach myself. I'd really appreciate any advice about getting in to website programming commercially. Other interests include reading, partying and DJing. Work hard and party hard, that's what I say! Looking forward to getting to know you all.Dug

Hi Dug,I would suggest making a portfolio site for yourself showcasing your skills. Then advertise yourself to get some experience. I'm using Gumtree and have just put up some adverts for free web design to build up my portfolio. Also if you know anyone with a business offer your services. Once you have a decent portfolio of work you should be ok to start applying for proper work.Good Luck

Hi Dug,I would suggest making a portfolio site for yourself showcasing your skills. Then advertise yourself to get some experience. I'm using Gumtree and have just put up some adverts for free web design to build up my portfolio. Also if you know anyone with a business offer your services. Once you have a decent portfolio of work you should be ok to start applying for proper work.Good Luck
Hi mate,Thanks for the reply.I've done as you suggested, put an advert in the Glasgow bit of Gumtree.I've just said I'm looking for work experience in website design, and listed the programming languages, software and internet protocols I'm knowledgeable of. I've got a portfolio started of websites I did as part of Uni projects. It's 3 so far, so hopefully I can build on that.Dug

• 2 weeks later...