Introduce Yourself

Chocolate570

hello everyone!my name is jessica and i'm a 24 year old texan girl. i'm intrested in css and hoping to use these forums as i learn along. ^^

Hello all,I am Robert and am very new to all of this but want to learn, I am interested in learning XHTML, CSS, PHP, and possibly some other scripting lanuages. I see from reading all of the posts here I am a lot older than most of you, the last time I tried to learn any coding was almost at the dawn of computers. The PC was not even invented yet, the C programming language had not been yet been released and the only languages offered at the university I attended were Fortran IV and Cobol, that was back in 1971 and boy have things changed. The way they were teaching programming was pretty lame, they did not have just a programming course by itself but was bundled with statistics. You had to write a Fortran program that would do your statistics home work for the week so you first had to understand completely your statistics before even having a chance to write a program for it. Everything was typed on IBM keypunch cards and then you would take your stack of cards down to the computer lab on campus and if you were lucky you might be able to get 2 runs in a week, as you were competing with hundreds of other people for computer time. I do not know what mainframe computer they were using but I bet that the average PC used today exceeds its power many times over. Hopefully I will be more successful this time around.I am retired from a career in aviation now but have many different interests and dabbling with my computer being the main one. I am a life long learner and am always trying to learn new things especially when it comes to computers. My first pc was a Commodore Amiga 1000 that I bought back in 1986 my next computer was an IBM compatible purchased back in 1995. Back then I did not know much about computers, especially if they stopped working correctly. Since then I have learned how to build my own systems, set up networking and currently enjoy doing graphics on my pc. I run a multi boot system with my primary OS now being Linux. This is probably one of the reasons for my interest in learning web development as I also want to learn shell scripting so I can move to the next level of capabilities with the use and administration of Linux. The other reason is the hope that I will be successful enough with web development to supplement my retirement income with something I enjoy doing.I hope to get to know some of youBye for now,Robert

Hi all,My name is Josh, I work at a manufacturing shop, we specialize in repair and manufacturing of parts and machinery for the Plywood and Panelboard Industry. The company was started a little over 40 years ago by my (step) grandfather (CEO), my father (GM) works there and got me the job 2 summers ago after a long stint in the Movie Theater business. I have a sporatic background in HTML and Programming of various sorts, but very basic knowledge nonetheless, a year of HTML my 10th grade year in High School, and a semester of Programming (QBasic) a couple years ago. Since then the most programming I have done is in Excel, not MS Visual Baic, just making spreadsheets, and some CNC Programming in the class I took, and now I'm learning AutoCAD, so my plate is a tad full.At work I am in charge of handling all incoming and outgoing packages and freight. Plus I handle the Inventory, I use Excel to create a spreadsheet that contains all the info per our 300 someodd item count, I have managed to cut the processing time on inventory by roughly 1/5. It takes part of a full day, where as it used to take my father about 3-6 days. Now my boss wants me to put together a catalog, I mentioned the idea of doing one online, it would be eaasier to manage (after initial setup) and maintain and get updates to the customer via the web. I have zero experience with scripting and PHP or SQL, but from what I have been reading, I am going to need to learn both of them. I look forward to learning a ton of info from you guys, and hope someday I can pass it on to someone.Josh

Hi, I'm george, and I am full of questions. Like, when I throw the ball up, why does it keep on going up? The various satellite agencies have requested that I stop throwing up balls. But I just can't believe my balls wont come back down. Every body else's ball comes back down. It is supposed to come back down. Wait, there is a knock at the door. It is the Army. They want me. This is how my programming career has been. I want to juggle, but I keep loosing balls. I envy thoes whose balls stay on the ground. I really do. You get to kick yours around a little without worry of starting an international crisis. Well, that is all about me.

• 2 weeks later...

Full name: Alexander RamirezAlternative name(s): alexnofueBirth date(dd/mm/yyyy): 19/02/1982Gender: maleCountry of residance: ColombiaCity of residance: BogotáHeight: 175cmWeight: ??Eyes: BrownHair: BlackFavourite Music: RockFavourite Movies: Matrix, New parts of Star Wars, I am legend, etc.Interest: Cars, games, a little anime, bicycleAdditional comments: I been using w3schools as reference for about four years and only until now i started usign this forum, :) man, some wasted oportunity

Well, I guess I never seen this thread before, so I'll go ahead and post now.. :)Full name: Nathan JenningsAlternative name(s): Xune/Xunie/XuniBirth date(dd/mm/yyyy): 21/08/1992Gender: maleCountry of residance: US of ACity of residance: MioHeight: 6'Weight: 150lbsEyes: BrownHair: BlondeFavourite Music: Clasic RockFavourite Movies: Pirates of the carribien Interests: Web Dev, Graphic Design, helping peopleAdditional comments: Nada

Wow, we got a lot of new folks this month! Welcome. I'm new since January, and I come here everyday. You'll notice me answering more questions than I ask. Part of that is my nature. Part of it is a little trick I learned in graduate school. The best way to test your knowledge is to teach it.My point is this: don't just stay in the shadows. If you think you know the answer to something that really is at your level, try to put it into words. If it takes a little research and you've got a little time, look it up. You might be the one to help someone who's in a hurry. But you'll also strengthen what you know.And if you're wrong, the world won't crumble. Before the day is out, someone will come along and correct you. (Just to keep things civil, if you're not 100% certain about an answer, start out by writing something like, "I'm not completely sure, but . . .")And for heavens' sake don't worry if your English isn't perfect. Especially if you studied it in school, it's probably good enough for around here.And don't worry about age. There are a lot of teens who are very active on this board. As a college professor, I wish I had just half a classroom with as much curiosity and determination as you've already shown just by joining up. So go ahead and ask your question. Offer some advice.Learn something. pax

I always keep out of the shadows, always out there answering what I can and trying what I can't... always looking into new things, took me about 5 months to get CSS down, and now I can pretty much recite most any property that you can think of.. :)

Full name: David GómezAlternative name(s): El davidBirth date(dd/mm/yyyy): Long time agoGender: MaleZodiacal sign: ScorpionCountry of residance: MéxicoCity of residence: QueretaroHeight: 1.73mWeight: ~above the normal~Eyes: BrownSmoking/Drinking/Drugs: No/No/NoFavourite Music: Almost everything.Additional comments: I'm a learner. This forum is great! Thankx for accep me :)

Hi Everyone,My name is Simon and I have been using W3schools for about 1 month now. I am an aspiring Internet Affiliate Marketer and found this website after being refered to it. I started using this site because I wanted to learn how to create a website from scratch. If im going to be an Affiliate Marketer I needed to be able to know how to build product comparison sites to increase my converstions of sales using Google Adwords. I have just finished the HTML Tutorial and am now going onto XHTML and then CSS and from there i'll see just what else I need to know! :) I just wanted to say thanks to the owners and creators of W3Schools for the time and effort they have put in to make this site easy and simple to understand for people of all levels. Everything is so well broken down into stages it makes learning it so much easier.I look forward to talking with you all,CheersSimon

Here you can be welcomed to the forum. Just introduce yourself, so we can get to know everyone better. This is not a place for questions, so keep that in mind. My name is Chocolate570 and I am a moderator of this forum. You can PM me any concerns RELATED to this forum. What about you? :)~Chocolate570This has not been stickied for a reason. If I see alot of replies, then i'll sticky it. Otherwise, it'll just occupy more space in the pinned section.
Hello my name is lerry a young guy student in Nigeria student computer science and engineering and as well as software engineering i intend written programming using PHP ASP.NET V.NET and some other scripting languages

I do some amateur webdesign for my flyball club and my wife's animal business. My real life work is studying to become a certified veterinary pathologist, but hey, we need time to "unwind" too. So HTML is my care free hobby.I come into different html forums to learn more about css and html. I drive my wife crazy when I tell her how important I think it is that we should conform to "web standards" and I refuse to buy dreamweaver to do my web design. she wishes she could get into the pages to "help" do things, but won't touch the code. So she really wishes I used something like dreamweaver or some other wysiwug editor.It's half about web standards and half about keeping her hands out of the pages :)So I'm just here to learn and help what little I can with my amateur understanding. Probably won't be too active, but I'll be in and out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Am3n

Hey all, im Am3n, currently a web designer / coder and hoster am lookin to learn more around php / sqlLets see if i can get my knowldge up! :)

I recently stumbled upon this thread and remembered, I haven't introduce myself yet :) Anyway, I'm Raymond. Hope to see more of you. :)

Hello! I'm not new to the world of web design, as it was a hobby of mine a few years ago before college (circa 2001). Now that I've graduated and started focusing on making my own money, I'm trying to get back in the game. Well a few things have changed, namely CSS is the man, and now XHTML is becoming the new way of web programming. Anyway, I'm upping my skills in those two, and relearning Javascripting, Photoshop, and Flash. Want to get into ASP or AJAX as well, so I can learn about making online databases. I hope to learn a lot here and I look forward to chatting with people from the same background. See ya on the board!

thanks. what about coldfusion and php? what are their relative merits and applications in the WWW?