Best way to copy OS

vchris

I'm formatting my comp this weekend and I'd like to copy the new installation so I don't have to go through another one again. I have an 8 GB HD that I don't use where I could create an image. What is the best way to backup a OS? Symantec Ghost or is there other better software for this?

I actually prefer Acronis True Image if it's for backups. It can back up a whole parition and/or HDD into a single file (*.tib extension) that you can later use to resotre the machine. Not only that, but this file is actually compressed and there are few levels of compression to choose from. So if you have 7GBs, you might be able to reduce them to 4GBs, allowing you to have your HDD on DVD.The program can also create bootable rescue media, so if your computer becomes unbootable one day, you may use that utility to initiate the restoration.Once upon a time, there was also Partition Expert 2003, which can copy or move whole HDDs, similarly to Symantec Ghost, allowing you to choose how big each one will be (unlike Ghost, which de/increases them proportionally), it could resize paritions, convert file systems from FAT32 to NTFS and vise versa, etc.I don't find it now on the site though. It might be renamed to Acronis Partition Manager or included in Disk Disk Director... or both... something.

Wouldn't it be Acronis True Image 10 for backing up data or creating images of your drive?http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
Yes. This is what you wanted, right? If you're asking choco, I think he's giving the link for my sake, not for yours :) .True Image could also close HDDs, but I think it only increases them proportionally like Notron Ghost. Partition Expert/Manager can copy them in a ratio you specify, only move a partition, remove it, format it, resize it, convert it and all that cool stuff you've always asked yourself if it could be done :) .