HTML into XHTML with a twist!!

Pete Richard

Hi, I am trying to change my html into xhtml. This is what i managed so far, but i would appreiate any comments or suggestions on improving the standard of coding for w3c compliance.What coding to ensure cross-browser capatable.Someone suggested to use Ajax for the drop down lists to get the items, etc. What is Ajax and best way to achieve this? I think css might be good idea, but would really appreciate any one who can highlight the wrong or improvement coding on the below:<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><title>Ajax JSon test</title></head><body><table width="100%" height="600" border="0" cellpadding="0"cellspacing="0"><tr bgcolor="gray" height="100"><td align="left" width="300px"><font size="+1"><b>YYYYYYYYY<br />YYYYYYYYY<br />YYYYYYYY<br /></b></font></td><td align="right" valign="bottom"><i><font size="-1">Othertext</font><a href="">fcghbvgyhb</a></i></td></tr><tr valign="top" bgcolor="green"><td><center><font color="#EEEEEE">Page</font></center></td><td><table><tr><td align="center">Food</td><td><select><option>Fruits</option><option>Vegetables</option><option>Meats</option></select></td></tr><tr><td><center>Type</center></td><td></td></tr></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Please achieve thefollowing:<br /><ol><li>A carrott.</li><li>A barret.</li><li>A rabbit.</li><li>A chicken</li><li>A coconut</li></ol>hello</a></td></tr><tr bgcolor="gray" height="40"><td colspan="2"><center><small>Footer <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[<!--function SymError(){ return true;}window.onerror = SymError;var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes){ return (new Object());}window.open = SymWinOpen;//-->//]]></script> <script type="text/javascript"></script></small></center></td></tr></table><script type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[today = new Date( ); birthday = new Date( ); birthday.setMonth(11); birthday.setDate(15); if (today.getTime( ) < birthday.getTime( )) { diff = birthday.getTime( ) - today.getTime( ); diff = Math.floor(diff / (1000 * 60 * 60 * 24)); document.write('<font size=-2> There are ' + diff + ' days until December 15. <\/font>'); }//]]></script><script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[<!--var SymRealOnLoad;var SymRealOnUnload;function SymOnUnload(){ window.open = SymWinOpen; if(SymRealOnUnload != null) SymRealOnUnload();}function SymOnLoad(){ if(SymRealOnLoad != null) SymRealOnLoad(); window.open = SymRealWinOpen; SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload; window.onunload = SymOnUnload;}SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;window.onload = SymOnLoad;//-->//]]></script></body></html>

Someone suggested to use Ajax for the drop down lists to get the items, etc. What is Ajax and best way to achieve this?
You can also make drop-down lists using CSS. http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns I'm not all that familiar with AJAX, but my understanding is that AJAX allows you to get information without refreshing the page. Don't know how it would work for a nav itemDave