How about a Python Tutorial

logybomb

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't CGI mostly outdated though, and the same things can be done as fast or faster with PHP or ASP.Net?

Isn't CGI mostly outdated though, and the same things can be done as fast or faster with PHP or ASP.Net?
*ducks for cover* Jonas, saying that to a diehard CGIer could get you whacked! :) First off I know nothing about python so I'll assume it is CGI as you say. I do know however PERL/CGI which although it is old is still widely used, or so I hear, but mostly by "old school" programmers. I doubt it is receiving much attention from new developers.Ok, how is Python different from PERL? Well whether we get a Python tutorial or not depends mostly, at least right now, on whether the site admins know Python. And I do not know if they do.

This would require server side technologies that might night be available by the current host - hence why there is no ColdFusion Tutorials. So, first, the server would need to be equipped, then the skillset must be available to them. I'm not sure if either exists though.

Python can be used for many things, not just CGI exclusively. But I know it can be used for CGI, we coded in Python in our programming classes, just to get a look into some other programming languages (php was also a language we looked at, the main language was VB, which I consider a total waste).Here some info on using Python for CGI:http://wiki.python.org/moin/CgiScripts

I do know however PERL/CGI which although it is old is still widely used, or so I hear, but mostly by "old school" programmers. I doubt it is receiving much attention from new developers.
Also, as a web developer, you may have to fix/modify existing websites that use CGI rather than spend the extra time and money to completely rebuild the site in a newer technology. I don't personally use PERL or Python, but I could see the need for it.

Python can be used for many things, not just CGI exclusively. But I know it can be used for CGI, we coded in Python in our programming classes, just to get a look into some other programming languages (php was also a language we looked at, the main language was VB, which I consider a total waste).Here some info on using Python for CGI:http://wiki.python.org/moin/CgiScripts
Do you use a lot of excel? Excel is one of the best things Microsoft has ever made. If you ever want to be good at Excel, VB is crucial. Remember that. :)Also, Skemcin: Don't servers need PHP installed? In that case, the only tutorials we should have are HTML, CSS, and Javascript. :)

Do you use a lot of excel? Excel is one of the best things Microsoft has ever made. If you ever want to be good at Excel, VB is crucial. Remember that. :) Also, Skemcin: Don't servers need PHP installed? In that case, the only tutorials we should have are HTML, CSS, and Javascript. :)
Actually you can use pretty much any language to interact with MS Office apps. That was the whole point of .Net, common assemblies/APIs, you just choose the syntax you like.

Do you use a lot of excel? Excel is one of the best things Microsoft has ever made. If you ever want to be good at Excel, VB is crucial. Remember that. :)
Psh. VB is hardly crucial for anything. You don't NEED VB for .Net. You can do A LOT with excel without VB, because there are pre-programmed macros/functions that do the things you could otherwise do with VB, and so you don't need to know the back-end code. I took Business Economy in high school, and we used excel in 2 out of 3 lessons a week. I know most of the functions that I'll ever have the need to use, and no thanks to VB, because I didn't learn that until later.Really, VB is just annoying, because if you make a program in it, you have to have all the form files and stuff, there's no compiling code (to the best of my knowledge).

Also, Skemcin: Don't servers need PHP installed? In that case, the only tutorials we should have are HTML, CSS, and Javascript. :)
I'm not Skemcin, but I can still answer that. Yes, servers need PHP installed too, but PHP is a language W3Schools' staff has already tried and they haven't tryed PERL, Python or Cold Fusion on that matter. They need to have some time on their hands to equip the server with something new they haven't yet tried.

Psh. VB is hardly crucial for anything. You don't NEED VB for .Net. You can do A LOT with excel without VB, because there are pre-programmed macros/functions that do the things you could otherwise do with VB, and so you don't need to know the back-end code. I took Business Economy in high school, and we used excel in 2 out of 3 lessons a week. I know most of the functions that I'll ever have the need to use, and no thanks to VB, because I didn't learn that until later.Really, VB is just annoying, because if you make a program in it, you have to have all the form files and stuff, there's no compiling code (to the best of my knowledge).
What? no compiling? That may be true (and I think you are right) for VB6 and earlier. My teacher mentioned writing the same program in VB6 and in Pascal. THe pascal program was only 70K while the VB6 program was 2.5 Mb because you had to include alot of crap.You can compile VB.Net...VB is now just another syntax that uses the .Net Framework.

I'm not Skemcin, but I can still answer that. Yes, servers need PHP installed too, but PHP is a language W3Schools' staff has already tried and they haven't tryed PERL, Python or Cold Fusion on that matter. They need to have some time on their hands to equip the server with something new they haven't yet tried.
Oh, I'm quite sorry. I read his post wrong. I thought he said that most of the people don't have coldfusion or perl or python, not W3Schools. Thanks for pointing that out. :blink:
That might be true. But that doesn't mean that VB is not retarded.
:)
VB makes Excel easier. For example, the other day, I was given a spreadsheet, and I was told to remove all cells where the A column read "rem" or something. Now, it was a 500 row spreadsheet (I know that's not much compared to some of the banking spreadsheets :)), so I used VB for it and it worked perfectly. VB is a timesaver, and it's so easy to learn. You don't NEED oil to run a car, but cars usually run smoothly with a little oil (:)). If you look at what VB was made for, then I'd say it does its job nicely. :blink:
What? no compiling? That may be true (and I think you are right) for VB6 and earlier. My teacher mentioned writing the same program in VB6 and in Pascal. THe pascal program was only 70K while the VB6 program was 2.5 Mb because you had to include alot of crap.You can compile VB.Net...VB is now just another syntax that uses the .Net Framework.
Vb6 had no compiling. You're right. :blink:

Yeah, VB 6.0 was what we were taught. My teacher is a open-source and linux fan, and pretty much anti-microsoft, but he was still very capable of teaching Visual Basic, because he had background in many programming languages. If it was up to him he would teach something else like PHP or C++, but it wasn't.
You don't NEED oil to run a car
If you don't want your engine to burn you do.

Yeah, VB 6.0 was what we were taught. My teacher is a open-source and linux fan, and pretty much anti-microsoft, but he was still very capable of teaching Visual Basic, because he had background in many programming languages. If it was up to him he would teach something else like PHP or C++, but it wasn't.
Now that is the kind of teacher I would like to have for my IT class. Too bad we only learned Pascal until this year. We were going to learn VB just this year if it wasn't for the damn educational reformations.
If you don't want your engine to burn you do.
Having that said, you don't "need" oil as much as you don't need an AntiVuris application. You don't NEED it in order to browse the internet, but if you don't want your computer to get infected with viruses shortly after just plugging it into the cable into the network, you do.