Browser Discussion

Jonas

As I said just before the backup *blush*, here are some new IE issues posted by yours truly for which I would like to see your votes and comments about:Customizeable RSS readerJavaScript inside CSS (the greatest security flaw) It's still there damn it!

Favicons:
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF=favicon.ico>

Put this code in the head of your html. I bet my left kidney this works for Firefox as long as there's a favicon in the root. It works for IE if you bookmark the site.

And for Opera too.BTW you forgot the type attribute, here is xhtml for it
<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="favicon.ico">

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion of microsoft is that they are retards, they think they can do everything there way, if you were to send a bussiness plan to your freind using hotmail, microsoft would have the rights over it.Also, Microsoft doesn't bother with the back end scripts in there operators they concentrate on the front end because the backend isn't what makes them most of their money, because that is all they care about. on my next computer i'm going for Linux all the way, its free and way better.

Have you used Linux before?If not it may not be a simple as you think. I have been finding it quite hard to get Linux distros configurated correctly. It is not like Windows that sets up your internet connection and installs all your drivers and hardware for you.Well if MS are retards and Bill is worth 80 billion where do I sign up to be a retard?In reality once my server is finished and I can get up enough motivation to do a reformat of my HD I am thinking of going for a WinXP/Ubuntu6 dual boot. I have to play with Ubuntu a bit more and see if I can get it working before I reformat my computer...I am so happy I have a test machine, it saves days and days of downtime.

My brother tried to install some Java software because he's trying tp learn java and he spent 5 hours trying to find all the downloads and junk... after reading he's Idiots guide to Java. At the time I didn't know he was doing it but when I got hungry I passed by him and saw what he was doing, then went to my Linux server and installed all the software he was looking for by typing 3 words in the command prompt and letting linux do it. It took me like 30 secs round trip... came back up stairs and was like "Guess I did since 30 secs ago!!" ... he wasn't so happy, but I was laughing my head off.See Mircosoft doesn't need to improve things... They make something and sell it, if it sells... then it's fine, other wise they have to improve it. IE is used by 80% of web users (just a guess) so they don't need to impove it. Everyone still uses it, so it's fine. If there users dropped to 10%... they would be in a panic and give you something you were looking for, but until then there not going to do what you wish.The best way to have Windows upgrade and make there software better then others is to stop using Windows software and hardware... so go and use Linux! or anything but Windows...People use Windows because of there adverting back when they started and during the big boom of computers.. not because it's good or the best.Also nothing is better then Linux... Linux is the first to do everything, they are the "bleeding edge". Windows is the main stream, it's stuff that is now common. It's like buying a computer with 80GB of RAM, it's alot better that 1/2 GB of RAM but it's not for the average person... RAM is too expesive and Linux is too "unstable" (not my words)... Another way to explane it, is that Linux is the Apha of OSs... for developers only. Most people just wait until the nornal release...

People use Windows because of there adverting back when they started and during the big boom of computers.. not because it's good or the best.
I use Windows because it's good. Terms like 'good' and 'best' are relative, it depends what you want to use it for. If I want to play games, Windows IS the best. If I want to run Photoshop, or develop Flash applications, Windows IS the best. If I want to install an OS with minimal user interaction and expect my hardware to work, Windows IS the best. I got started when DOS was the premier OS, so I learned how to do what I wanted to do in DOS, and when Windows 3.1 came along it was a natural progression to upgrade, because I could still do everything I used to be able to do in DOS. It's about personal choice and what you use your computer for, if everything you want to do with a computer is available for Linux, then that might be the best choice for you, but it's not the best choice for everyone. Until Linux gets a little more user-friendly and a little more compatible with applications, I will be using Windows.

If you like viruses, Windows IS the best!I started a new topic... http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=6364 so that browsers don't have to hear about the OS there put on...

If I want to run Photoshop, or develop Flash applications, Windows IS the best.
I have been told Macs are very good at this... way better than Windows. Macs are made for doing things with Graphics! When I hear about teams making games, they use Linux or Macs... never Windows. Unless it's a Microsoft group, then they use Windows. (NOTE: This is what I H-E-A-R, not fact because I bet there is some group out there using Windows...)

If you don't know how to use your computer, you will get viruses. I don't run a firewall or a virus scanner and I haven't gotten a virus in years. The rule is not to be stupid.Macs are good with graphics, but that doesn't mean that Windows is not. I work for a place that employs 3 full-time artists, and all of them use Windows. My roommate has a Mac G4 that has Photoshop, Pro Tools, Reason etc installed. He never uses it, he uses his Windows laptop instead and runs Photoshop there. He is a self-employed computer technician.The thing about game development is heresay if you don't have anything to back it up with. I could come back and say that I know a guy who's brother's son-in-law's cousin's girlfriend said that all games are developed on the TI-99, but it doesn't make it so. But regardless what people make the games with, the games run on Windows. Unless it's Marathon. Or Oregon Trail.

Oregon Trail! That was a very good game. It was the only game that the teachers would let any play at school...Linux can run any Windows program. Unlike Windows which still doesn't like tar files... come on, it's not real tar...btw, here is the best Windows ever... http://www.cs.umd.edu/~meou/Flashes/WINRG/WINRG.html Windows Really Good Edition (WInRG)back to browsers... ... I'm running a Dell 3000 with Windows home edition and FireFox is crashing alot when I open the base program. It always works when I open a file in Firefox but not when I open the program and it takes me to my homepage. I have reinstalled it... still no luck.

Linux can run any Windows program.
OK, I'll call you out on that one too. Please let me know how I can get Half-Life 2 Episode 1 running on Linux.
System RequirementsMinimum:1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP/ME/98, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection
back to browsers... ... I'm running a Dell 3000 with Windows home edition and FireFox is crashing alot when I open the base program. It always works when I open a file in Firefox but not when I open the program and it takes me to my homepage. I have reinstalled it... still no luck.
What about the millions of people running Firefox on Windows with no issues at all?

What about the millions of people running Firefox on Windows with no issues at all?
Well good for them! I wish to join in there glory! How can I do so?The problem started after I installed Opera... that's been the only change really. umm... I guess I will just have to live with it..

To fix issues with Firefox on my mom's computer, I uninstalled it and then went through the local settings folders and the registry and manually deleted everything that the uninstall left behind. That worked for her issues.

Here's a quick question:why the ###### does typing 'pan' in the Firefox address bar take me to http://pan.rebelbase.com/? Why not pan.com? Not that I care about pan.com, pan was part of a url I was trying to type, but why does it choose the other one anyway?? I'm not following the logic.

I don't know what you all are talking about Windows and stuff for (don't feel like reading all 15 pages).My favorite browser is Mozilla Firefox. The adblock feature is my favorite thing about it. I also use IE often. It's not too much different from Firefox in appearance, but, once again, that lovely adblock feature is lacking in it. I've also used Netscape. I think it's the worst browser I've ever seen, even worse than the AOL browser. It looks horrible, is set up in a way that I can't figure out, and is very hard to customize.I've never tried the Opera browser... I think I should.Another thing... I don't get why Mozilla makes more than one browser. As far as I've heard, they have like 4 different ones. Is there a reason for that?

Another thing... I don't get why Mozilla makes more than one browser. As far as I've heard, they have like 4 different ones. Is there a reason for that?
The Mozilla Foundation originally had a suite of internet applications referred to as just Mozilla. It included a web browser, email client, things like that. The Mozilla browser was fine, but it wasn't really anything special. The Mozilla Foundation decided to create a new browser that was specifically to be a standalone browser (not part of a larger suite) and optimized to be fast and lightweight. It was called Phoenix, then Firebird, then Firefox. Phoenix and Firebird were definately fast and lightweight, and they didn't even have an installer, you just unzipped the file and ran it. But as the project got bigger, the browser got slower and heavier. Today I consider Opera to be the fastest browser. For a while Opera's motto was "the fastest browser on the planet", and I think that was and probably still is true.As for Netscape, it seems to follow standards a little better than IE (or, at least supports more than IE does) but I generally consider IE to be better behaved then Netscape. That might just be my personal bias though, I haven't used Netscape in several years. Ever since I was developing for IE4/Netscape 4.7x, I've had a really bad opinion of it.

Between NN4.x and NN7 I had not used it. I found that 7.x wasn't too bad but NN8 is nothing but an ugly attempt to knock off FirFox. The user agent for NN8 returns as FireFox 0.9. So it appears they just built on one of the early FF engines.

Yeah, Netscape is essentially an older version of Firefox, with some extra bugs and quirks thrown in. I knew they used the Gecko engine, it's funny they didn't even bother to change the user agent string. I remember hearing though that when Netscape 8 came out that they would be using the engine from Firefox 0.9, despite the fact that Firefox was beyond version 1.0 at the time.

Yeah, but that had more to do with Microsoft bundling IE with Windows then anything else. That right there killed Netscape, and solidified the monopoly for Microsoft. But, Netscape did sort of shoot themselves in the foot. There programmers weren't very good, and the code they started with was written by someone else to begin with. They were more businessmen then programmers.

opera, you are so funny :) . ok so i cusimized opera. i removed the wand and those doubble forward/backward arrows. well anyways slowly (over a month) changes like undid themselves. then i decided to try out what i had removed from the browser and now i like those buttons. at first i didnt know what the wand was so it got removed but now i use it all the time on sites that don't hold valuble information (like finantial info) i use the doubble arrows for forward and back all the time too. good thing opera decided that i wanted them after all :) .