Browser Discussion

Jonas

Ok I didn't know browsers could do half the things that were tested on SunSpider. 3D raytracing...???

• Like 2

Opera 9.5 beta hung on Crypto-AES (cmon Opera!) Opera 9.26 did well, but since I already overwrote it I don't have numbers at this time.
Opera 9.20: 16083.6ms

On my laptop at work Opera 9.5 alpha took 15480.2ms. This is much slower then my home computer, this has a 1.83GHz CPU with 512MB of RAM. For reference, Firefox on this machine took 22733.8ms. So if I do the math then on my home hardware Opera should have taken 8108ms, to go with the numbers I posted earlier. That would actually make IE8 the fastest Javascript performer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use Firefox V3.0.1 and reason is, what firefox is like laboratory: i can do anything witch page, because of add-ons. Same i can't tell about other browsers like IE and Opera. so ff pwns. And about lamers who use IE i have simple solution: just block it and pm wt you cant view page in IE. Why? simple: if all pages will be locked for IE all will use browsers like Opera and FF!And no need to report bugs, create additional style sheets for IE and same.

Why? simple: if all pages will be locked for IE all will use browsers like Opera and FF!
While it's true that if you remove access for IE that all users will use another browser, that's not to say that you'll have the same number of users. If I go to a site in Opera and it tells me that it doesn't like my browser and that I should upgrade to IE, I don't open the site in IE, I just find a different site. Removing access to your site for IE users isn't going to get everyone to convert, it's going to drive away your visitors who aren't going to install or use another browser just for the "privilege" of going to your site.

• 2 months later...
I use Google Chrome, it's quite similar to Firefox isn't it?
Chrome uses Webkit, the Safari rendering engine, along with its own JS interpreter.

• 4 months later...
so, which browser you would recommend for a developer to keep around while webdesigning.which one is closest to w3c standards ?
Develop in anything but Internet Explorer, but check your site so that it works in all browsers.

Even though my main browser is Opera, I use Firefox the most for developing so that I can use Firebug. I use Chrome to display references and run tests because of how fast it is with Javascript, and most of time I'm testing Javascript.

• 1 month later...
Develop in anything but Internet Explorer, but check your site so that it works in all browsers.
i agree, firefox i reckon is the best for development, i just found a nifty extension that will list all errors and warning on any page you vist.awesome, it doesn't come straight from w3c but its close.

• 1 month later...

I have Firefox, Chrome and IE. Internet Explorer 8 was said to be AWESOME before it came out, but it is in fact a lot of garbage. It is shocking. Worse browser ever.I use Chrome most because it is quick, but I like Firefox, because of it's addons like Css viewer, Fire Bug and many many more.

I have Firefox, Chrome and IE. Internet Explorer 8 was said to be AWESOME before it came out, but it is in fact a lot of garbage. It is shocking. Worse browser ever.I use Chrome most because it is quick, but I like Firefox, because of it's addons like Css viewer, Fire Bug and many many more.
I find Internet Explorer 8 pretty useful. They fixed basically all the problems they used to have and implemented some pretty useful developers tools.

• 1 month later...

East or west, Firefox is the best!I used almost many browsers like IE, Safari, Opera, Google Chrome, Netscape(didnt work even!), Avast(Couldnt open any website in it) and at the last, firefox.I really admired Mozilla's work.There isnt any bug, you could install many rocking add-ons.Safe and private browsing.Cool speed.Many options.Great bookmark system.And its size is really too small.Every browser's team indeed says that "Our browser is best.You would experience Fun and with no fuss etc.".But see the overall features of the browser.And I saw, and I started surfing with firefox.

• 4 weeks later...
I find Internet Explorer 8 pretty useful. They fixed basically all the problems they used to have and implemented some pretty useful developers tools.
I agree, FF and IE8 (along with IE7 mode), make a good, standards-compliant developing pair.
  • Like 1

I suppose you think of IE8 as "garbage" because you think it's slow then? Go to "Tools > Manage Add-ons", from the left, to to "Toolbars and extensions", and from the bottom left, select "All add-ons". Disable all add-ons you don't use and/or don't know what are for. Of course, for the sake of good user experience, leave "Shockwave Flash Object" and "Java Plug-in 1.6.0._**" enabled. Close all IE instances, and reopen IE. It should suddenly be much faster.The thing that mostly slows IE down are its poorly written add-ons, which ironically is the same reason Firefox seems slower to you than Chrome. If you'd uninstall all extensions from Firefox, it would be just as (if not faster) than Chrome. Many people wish Chrome had extensions. Be careful what you wish for, because it will mean Chrome is going to become much slower once you install a few extensions. Edited by boen_robot

• 3 weeks later...

First off, I figured i would say i'm currently a fan of flock, firefox would have me if it changed three things like flock- an option so the bookmark bar always open in new tabs (if there is an option, I can't find it)- the way the tab bar is handled, flock's bar has a slide for extra tabs, where firefox has a dropdown button- there's no new tab button on the tab bar (very useful, after i got used to it, it got annoying hitting ctrl + t)now for the main reason of this post,does anyone know where i can get a set of browser icons?- i want to have a page on my site that shows which browsers my site works well in- kinda like the icons that w3schools have to show if a tag is supported by a certain browseralso, i found some gorgeous icons but they don't have all the types of browsers i plan to support, and i'd rather have a continuity in the icons rather that 3 gorgeous icons and to regular icons.also, if you feel that is is in the wrong section, kick it our, move it or whateverthanks,

so, which browser you would recommend for a developer to keep around while webdesigning.which one is closest to w3c standards ?
firefox I feel is the best for developmentthe addons alone sell it-fire ftp-firebug-web developer-yellowpipe lynx viewernot only that but there's a portable version you can pop on a flash drive and go mobile

For what it's worth, I handle the new tabs issue by clicking on bookmarks with the middle mouse button, on here that opens whatever link is referenced in a new tab. I also customise the toolbars to add a new tab button in the top left on the row which has the back/forward buttons, this may or may not be suitable - doesn't matter too much though, I usually CTRL+T for a new tab.