Browser Discussion

Jonas

That's right, IE was never meant to become a flagship product, only a Netscape killer. Once Netscape died, IE development did too, and now they're trying to pick up where they left off. Any programmer who has come back to a project after 5 years and looked at the code probably knows the feeling of sitting there trying to understand what you did and asking yourself why the ###### did you do that.

If the IE group which works on both free and paid versions of there browser
There's a paid version of IE? Who would actually give someone money for such a thing? That's like paying a mugger to punch you in the face.

That's right, IE was never meant to become a flagship product, only a Netscape killer.  Once Netscape died, IE development did too, and now they're trying to pick up where they left off.  Any programmer who has come back to a project after 5 years and looked at the code probably knows the feeling of sitting there trying to understand what you did and asking yourself why the ###### did you do that.There's a paid version of IE?  Who would actually give someone money for such a thing?  That's like paying a mugger to punch you in the face.

I always look back at my code and go why didn't i just do it the easy way... I really think this "band aid" idea applies to everyday life too. you should always fix what is causing the problem. never try to fix the effects of a problem. I really dislike some parts of IE and well i just say i hate IE. People ask me why and i give them a few examples. they go but those are just little things. they don't really understand from a developers standpoint how hard it is to get IE to do some things correctly.

This may sound stupid at first, but does anyone know how to turn IE6 back into the default browser? IE doesn't seem to be checking if it's the default and I have no idea where the option for this is, simply because IE has always been my default browser :) .

Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> [ ] Control that IE is the standard ([ ] = Checkbox)Or something like that (I have the Norwegian version, so I can't be too sure of the wording in the translation).

Haha. Really weird. I found the option, checked it, but IE6 still didn't perform a check, even after a restart. IE7 did though and ask me if want to make it the default one. The problem is I need IE6, not IE7. Do you know which is the registry entry(es) responsible for setting an application as the default browser? It may actually be easier then any other way :) .

Oh, you've installed IE7? Then I honestly don't know. Normal rules don't apply when dealing with buggy BETA versions. :)

It's not about being buggy. Infact, it's IE7 which gets it right :) . The problem is I'm running IE6 and IE7 on the same machine, so they are somehow related (see some of my previous posts for details). I used the new method with the stand alone launch script, which is suppose to make things as if IE7 was never ran, every time it's actually only closed. Yet the old problems still exist (probably because I had it in use earlyer). The only thing I can think of is registry editing, but which one... or should I say where...Oh well, in the worst case, my Win is for reinstallation anyway.

I think your problems lie in the fact that you made modifications to the registry, etc when setting up IE7 to run along side IE6.I would imagine it would function properly if IE7 was uninstalled (if it can be :)).

That's exactly the way multiple IE versions run on the same OS. They are not installed to begin with. Their files are just extracted out of the archive bins, and a registry entry is made to tell the system that's the de facto IE on the OS. The launch script is suppose to make those registry modifications and restore them on closing. The "default browser" entry however is another one, which for some reason, IE6 can't find anymore, but IE7 can :) .

What are you talking about? As I said, I never installed IE7 to begin with. From the OS's point of view, IE7 is just some "stand alone" application (EXE file and other ones inside their own folder and nothing more) and IE6 is the de facto browser of it. There's no add/remove entry of IE7 and IE6 is very deeply built in. I can only remove it's shortcuts by the Add or Remove windows components option.

I was just reading this page https://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/support/default.mspxThis might not really be the place to put this but I just downloaded the new opera beta and it is going to blow every other browser away! I like it better then firefox! See my new signature. Opera is 10x faster than all the other browsers. I wonder how the other browsers will attempt to compete with it. Also I don't think there are any OS that is unsupported it runs on all versions of linux (as for as I know) macs and windows. Even most sell phones can download it.(costs money)Also in the installer there is an option it asks if it should over write the last officail release or run them both! It is the best browser ever!

That's a bold statement  :)   Do you have proof of this?

Download the latest Opera 9 beta build and see for yourself. Make a chart with each browser's results if you must. He is right that Opera is faster, I agree with that. From my dad's point of view, it's best feature is the Bulgarian version, and if it just had voice support for cyrilic letters (at least try to pronounce them, instead of telling the entity code) I bet he was going to install it to every computer in our IT store :) . I do prefer Opera over Firefox myself though, but I still use IE6 for most of my browsing (and at home: IE7).

That's a bold statement  Do you have proof of this?
Yes I downloaded a page timer for both browsers and checked the time to load a page with cache disabled on both browsers. (It was the same page) then I compared the speed. firefox was truly 10x longer.Edit:Not to mention the new opera 9 beta has skins and the skins look way better than any other browsers skins

Yes I downloaded a page timer for both browsers and checked the time to load a page with cache disabled on both browsers. (It was the same page) then I compared the speed. firefox was truly 10x longer.Edit:Not to mention the new opera 9 beta has skins and the skins look way better than any other browsers skins

Ok i'm going to download it and check it out, it's not that i don't believe what you say but it's just a bit hard to believe.*goes and gets it :)

You see I have high speed internet so the page downloads almost instantly. the second firefox takes to run the page makes all the difference. If you have slow internet the time might be as low as 0.2x just so you know

Ok ive downloaded it and done some tests :) When opening the Apache Server locally as my homepage1. Opera9 = 3.05 seconds2. Firefox = 4.35 seconds3. IE6 = 4.53 secondsWhen opening Google as my hopepage1. Opera9 = 3.30 seconds2. IE6 = 4.93 seconds3. Firefox = 5.40 secondsBoth sites had been opened/closed many times before the test to allow caching and opera to do it's thing.As we can see it skins them both without a shadow of a doubt, but it's no where near x10 faster.ps using 2mb broadband connection (not that it mattered locally) :)

Well, it's still notably faster anyway :) .[edit] Who's arguing? [/edit]

Edited by boen_robot

Well, it's still notably faster anyway :) .
Yes, it was opening pages 1.5 seconds quicker, at least! which is noticably impressive plus you can install multiple copies :) I still can't get used to the "feel" of opera though :)