AJAX Forum

vchris

Not really, AJAX is not a language, it is a combonation of languages.Break you problem down to which language and post in appropriate forum.
True - but I think it might be something to keep an eye on. There are distinct rules on how AJAX works and it might (just might) deem a separate discussion area. I don't know if it should be ruled out all together - but it is important to understand that it is based off of javascript and XML - which are already addressed here. On the other hand, is having a AJAX forum and different from having a DHTML forum - where "D" is the javascript/css and "HTML" is (well) HTML?

If you ask me, we don't need an AJAX forum any more than we need a DHTML forum. I could simply not understand the size of AJAX, but like aspnetguy says, it's javascript and xml. But AJAX is different for each serverside language as well, right? Like there is cfAJAX and phpAJAX and stuff. Therefore it would be better to put topics regarding AJAX in the javascript forum or otherwise in a serverside language forum with AJAX spesification in the title.

Actually ajax is pretty much the same. The difference is what language the page it fetches from is. You send the response to the page, the response comes back (only html) and you use document.write or innerHTML to put the response somewhere. I don't see how it is different.

Ok then. I thought there had to be different ways of interacting with the different serverside script, but hey...

It's still only JavaScript, so I say "No" too. I don't see how XML fits in all this anyway. The only thing it has to do is that it's present in the name of the key object: XmlHttpRequest().

It's still only JavaScript, so I say "No" too. I don't see how XML fits in all this anyway. The only thing it has to do is that it's present in the name of the key object: XmlHttpRequest().
And in the name of the technology itself: "Asynchronous JavaScript And XML". Ostensibly, you're supposed to be able to return XML from the server and get at the XML using .responseXML but I've only had luck with .responseText. And I agree with most here that if you have an AJAX question, just ask it in either the javascript forum or in one of the server scripting ones.

Were your issues with response.XML becuase you were unfamiliar or because it behaves oddly?I have been planning to use AJAX in my next project and retreiving XML as apposed to just printed html and text to the screen would be far more helpful.I suppose I could always just have the server side write the xml as output and load it in JS myself.

Were your issues with response.XML becuase you were unfamiliar or because it behaves oddly?
I would like to say that it behaves oddly, but I probably think that it behaves oddly because I'm unfamiliar with it. :) I just kept getting no response when I tried it in IE where responseText worked fine. I've recently read that the response type for the data needs to be "text/xml" in order for responseXML to work, maybe that was the issue I had. I haven't gone back to try the XML version so I might not find it difficult to work with any more.