Folder Structures

holmedwa04

Hi,I am having trouble linking to things in my folders, I have several folders with various things in such as images, animations etc and in one of the I have pages for my images gallery, the only problem is that I can't seem to work out how to link to the images, that are on the same level as the pages for the image gallery but are in a different folder.

as a guide../file.jpgtakes you back one folder (the parent folder) where the file.jpg is.../folder/file.jpgtakes you back one folder, then into the folder name folder, which has the file.jpg in/folder/file.jpgtakes you to the subforum folder, in the folder you're already indoes that make sense and help at all?:)

I already told you how to do that in a PM I once wrote you. real_illusions is saying the same thing as I once did. Is it that hard to grasp?

or you can give it full path for sure
more code than what is needed..which means extra load time, extra bytes to load, which means more bandwidth, which costs moneyrelative linking is the best way to go about linking to stuff on the same server/website.:)

I already told you how to do that in a PM I once wrote you. real_illusions is saying the same thing as I once did. Is it that hard to grasp?
I know, but I got confused and I have only just got round to reorgnising my filles, so to go back up throgh a folder structure you use two dots?Ok, so I have got that working, but if I used this:../../../folder/file.jpgwould it take me back by 3 folders and in by one then to the image?

I know, but I got confused and I have only just got round to reorgnising my filles, so to go back up throgh a folder structure you use two dots?Ok, so I have got that working, but if I used this:../../../folder/file.jpgwould it take me back by 3 folders and in by one then to the image?
Yes. It should. If your HTML file is located at/1/2/3/file.htmlthen the image at/folder/file.jpgshould be called.

more code than what is needed..which means extra load time, extra bytes to load, which means more bandwidth, which costs moneyrelative linking is the best way to go about linking to stuff on the same server/website.:)
okay , but we cant prevent some peculiar case of error loading but why extra load bytes :)

its more text to load up in the documenta 8400kb file is bigger than 83990kbnot by much, but if you get 100 visits on that page a day, then thats 1000kb extra loaded in 1 day on the bigger file size compared to the smaller one.over 1 year, thats 3,650,000kb's loaded more than needed. 10 pages its going to be 36 million..etc etc..you get the idea by now i hope :)

its more text to load up in the documenta 8400kb file is bigger than 83990kbnot by much, but if you get 100 visits on that page a day, then thats 1000kb extra loaded in 1 day on the bigger file size compared to the smaller one.over 1 year, thats 3,650,000kb's loaded more than needed. 10 pages its going to be 36 million..etc etc..you get the idea by now i hope :)
at least we cost some Bytes for a longer link :) and from that we cost a huge amount of Bytes for a long time :) thanks !!!

A couple Rules of Thumba.) Only use absolute URL paths when a web page is designed to be used as HTML e-mail or when linking from a shared SSL server to your individual hosting service.b.) Adopt a good, clean coding convention to reduce redundant tags and whitespace:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...post&p=3285c.) Think through your CSS implementation - reduce/eliminate the use of <font> tags.d.) when you got your page working the way you want it to and looking the way you want it to, go back over your code and clean it up - apply your coding conventionBe a developer that cares, reduce EBU (excessive bandwidth use).