Ping then no Ping

ZeRgII

Alright well, I have a small office network. There are 3 clients one being a laptop 2 being desktops and a server running windows server 2003. This is a hybrid Network.Note: Laptop is currently occupied so I cannot conduct any experiments with it atm.Problem 1:The laptop(IP102) can ping my Desktop(IP100)but my Desktop(IP100) can't ping the laptop(IP102)Note: Laptop is (of course) running wirelessly.Problem 2:Looking @ network places on the Server(IP103), I can see and access all clients accept the laptop(IP102). Looking @ network places on my Desktop(IP100), Myself and the Laptop(IP102) are the only 2 showing up and I can't access the laptop.While looking @ Boss's Desktop(IP113), I can see every computer hooked up to the network. I just can't access the laptop(IP102)Not sure what the laptop views on the network places. I'll find out soon though.All the other clients and server can't access the laptop. All computers have internet access. accept for the server... *sigh* Help out lemme know what you guys think. I believe my problem is a DHCP problem. And I think i know what I'm suppose to do with the laptop but go ahead and give me your ideas ;o

a.) power down all your pcs and routersb.) start up just the routerc.) start up your server (assuming that is the mother of the network)d.) from server log inot router and reset to defaults (out of box settings)e.) power down server and then routerf.) power up router - be sure it shows no activity before powering up your serverg.) when your server is back up, log in to your router and disable DHCPAssign all your IPs for a network that small. When/if you take your laptop off the network and into public domain, then you can jump in a quickly change it to DHCP - flip it back when you get home.You have more control with assigning static IPs to your home network. It helps troubleshoot problems as you always know which IP is to which machine - and you don't have to remember which PC you started up in what order. Granted a long IP lease might avoid that, but DHCP is too picky for most people's patience.Whatever you do, shut down everything and boot one machine at a time - check each configurations and connections before moving to the next. Too many people power up everything in no particular order and without checking things until they are all up. There is a step-by-step process for everything, don't ignore it.P.S. That all, may go without saying to most. In that case, I have no idea what the problem is without being able to help/observe the troubleshooting efforts. :)

Lol, I did ignore the order in which I powered my machines. I didn't know it was significant to networks :\.By the way, the laptop is not mine. It is usually in the office though. So I'll assign a static IP and keep it that way so I don't have to mess with it later. Error's while trying to look @ the laptop through another client or the server is a "permission" for access error. I'm not familiar with networking laptops at all. I'll be messing around with it alot today though so hope i figure it out. I'll come to check this post out later thnx.

hehe, yeah the order play a roll in that DHCP will assign IPs as a machine becomes visible in the network. So if PC-1 is turned on first, but PC-2 boots faster, then PC-2 will get 192.168.1.101 - the router usually gets 192.168.1.100. You can always goto the command prompt and check this out using these commands:ipconfig /allipconfig /releaseipconfig /renewUse the last two to troubleshoot a PC you cant see or use. Also, if you are trying to map shared drives, windows(<--- assumption) can often take a whiule to computer names to propogate. So, try mapping by IP address and later change the mapping to computer name - you never want to map by IPs for any extended period of time.Also, use the command prompt to ping your assigned IPs:ping 192.168.1.100 (this will be a given in most cases - its the router)ping 192.168.1.101ping 192.168.1.102etc.If you can ping but not map or even see the other PC then you will have to make sure you have file sharing turned on and that a folder is configured for sharing. Make sure you make it annonymous sharing so when I drive my white Chevy Van by your house, I can log into your wireless network and download all your stuff.:)Ok, maybe annoynmous sharing is not a good thing, so make sure the drive mappings you define are assigned to a username and password. Of course, your wireless network should also be using an encryption key for connecting too.On a side note, you could still have your router set for DHCP if you like, then have you desktops with hard coded IPs - that s works too. That just makes it more convenient for you to take your laptop to and from the office. At the very least, the DHCP settings can still filter access based on MAC address. So, get all your PCs connected to your router and then go in there and set your router to only allow connections to those MAC addresses - for additional security. If you get a new laptop from work or your friend brings a laptop over, you'll have to take a minute to open Fort Knox - but its all in good fun.:-D