Microsft Excel

risingdragon

I am trying to run a online store and was wondering if there is a way that i can just pull certin text out of an Excel document. See it has all the info of over 3000 items. Is there a code that will just take the info out and place it somewhere else so i dont have to copy and pase all of it? Example: a b c d e1 xxx yyy hhh ttt rrr 2 fff mm ppp gg www345678910Ok so is there a code that will go that excel document and take the info out of row-1, column a and place some where else on another page?

what do you want to do with the information - do you want to database it? Do you want to convert it to XML and read it that way?You can use any scripting language to convert the spreadsheet into an array that you can loop through and parse . . . is that all you want to do - parse through it to reformat it?

:) i have no i dea i just want to take the information and put it in on another page the way you can do it with .txt documents with this code <!--#include virtual="name-of-file.txt"-->except i want to take the text out of the row 1, column a and put it into a table on another page

If i understand this correctly..I think you should chose a databas program like SQL of somesort. you only have to do is about 26 diffrent pages for A-W then link them to theA.B.C.D.E.F.......................Wand then just add a funktion "SORT BY A Desc" on page a you see my point :)iam no expert on the subject. this is how it sould look like then A1.2.....B1.2....and so on you just have to enter the information inside the SQL databas (enterprice manager)I think someone else can fill in more information, if you are intressted in this program

He doesn't want to use sql, he just wants to pull information out of an excel document. I'd like to do this too. I was just about to post a new topic! :)He's asking how to use excel as a database and take bits and parts on demand from it. I think :)Choco

But isn't it better to convert your excel file to an xml file if that's possible. Much easier to use as database, plus, it's platform-independent...

So you basically want to query an excel spreadsheet . . . a.) excel is not a database - and therefore should not be used as oneb.) if you are thinking about using excel as a database, then you need to think about using a databasec.) you should build something to upload/parse/insert the spreadsheet into a database and query it from there (much more flexibility)d.) but if you choose to ignore the previous three points, then this is what you do . . . Google the concept:"parse spreadsheet cold fusion"or"parse spreadsheet php"or"parse spreadsheet asp "Use a scripting language (cold fusion, php, asp) to build a page that will parse through the excel spreadsheet. Since a spreadsheet is nothing more than a CSV file, your code will be set up to look at each line and look for each comma. For each segment it pulls out, it places it in a structure. Then you have your data in a tabular format - which (ironically) looks and acts a lot like a database (hint hint).

So you basically want to query an excel spreadsheet . . . a.) excel is not a database - and therefore should not be used as oneb.) if you are thinking about using excel as a database, then you need to think about using a databasec.) you should build something to upload/parse/insert the spreadsheet into a database and query it from there (much more flexibility)

I completely agree, it would be much easier to use the data once it is sets up in a database. To import it into a database, you can do various things, but one of them (using MS SQL would be to DTS the file (Data Transportation Service...I think)). I believe you can also use the menu's in Access to import an excel file into a database. Not sure how it would work with other databases, but there should be plenty of documentation out there if you search. Either way, importing an excel file/Comma Separated Value file into a database is not that hard and would make things much easier in the long run.