PHP vs. ASP.NET

sunstallion

First, I do not know what forum to post this topic. So, I will post it both here and in the PHP forum. I am wanting to learn either or both PHP and ASP.NET for fun and for jobs. Do you know which one is better ? which one is more marketable ?Well, I want to learn to get a job, but in the mean time at home, I want to put the extra time to speed up my skill in the same technology. So, should I rather focus on only PHP or ASP.NET or both ? Thanks

Alrighty, it is time for PHP5!Ok, I suggest you use PHP, PHP is easy, fast, and free!Why waste your time in ASP.NET when ASP.NET is slow, non-easy?
Have you ever used ASP.Net. Is is very powerful and is very fast (arguably faster than PHP because it is compiled not interpreted at runtime.)If you are used to OOP style programming it is very easy to learn. Even if you do not use the OOP capabilities of .Net is still very poweful and easy.

ASP.NET is microsoft, and that should be enough for you not to learn it.
Hah, I agree with that. However, if you know OOP like aspnetguy mentioned, it's a breeze! I've been able to make much more powerful applications using ASP.NET than I have using PHP.For marketability, though, I would suggest you learn both.

I think it comes down to your own personal style. There are IDEs for both languages, they have pretty similar tools. I think the reference for PHP is easier to use then what Microsoft offers, but others might feel different. Both languages have large communities, so you can find help with either. PHP may have a larger community, but if there are 50 million PHP developers and 20 million ASP.NET developers, you can still find just as much help from the 20 million. But if you are a functional programmer, PHP will be easier for you to use. If you are an object-oriented programmer, then ASP.NET will be easier for you to use. But that may all change when servers start supporting PHP5, and when PHP6 comes out. At that point a more apples-to-apples comparison will probably be easier.I think one of the main reasons now is simply the support for PHP, it is more widely supported on servers then .NET is, and I would also say there are more applications available that use it (especially free ones).

In the end, big businesses choose ASP.NET, small businesses and individuals choose PHP.Usually, there are always exception.I know quite a bit of PHP, and some ASP.NET, and I find PHP much easier, but not as fast as I would like. I have yet to find something that PHP simply cannot do, though.

In the end, big businesses choose ASP.NET, small businesses and individuals choose PHP.
That's been my experience as well.
Using ASP since 1999 i have an erge to edge over to asp.net
I've mainly been using .NET because of the projects I've been working on rather than any preference I may have for either .NET or PHP. However, .NET is way better than classic ASP. If you can begin to migrate into .NET, I would highly recommend it.

It is true PHP applications are more portabnle than ASP.Net, meaning PHP can run on any platform and/or server while ASP.Net is limited to Windows/IIS.This however is changing since the release of MONO. THis allows developers to write desktop and web applications in .Net for Linux (and Windows/Apache).Novell recently released MONO 1.2 (it's free btw) which has support for the most common .Net 2.0 components, but not full 2.0 support (yet).