NEWBIE HERE! need help with background

aND|e

hi! I'm just new to creating webpages and I've been using the internet and some books for reference. But I can't seem to find how to havea split background. by split, what I mean is, for example i want the left side of the page to be black and the other half to be pink. is this possible? I really appreciate your help! :)

hi! I'm just new to creating webpages and I've been using the internet and some books for reference. But I can't seem to find how to havea split background. by split, what I mean is, for example i want the left side of the page to be black and the other half to be pink. is this possible? I really appreciate your help! :)

make a two new div layers with "z-index: -10" and "width: 50%" other is floating left and other is floating right. Then just put the right background colors. I thik it would work.

Here is the code.

<html><head><style type="text/css">.left{position:relative;float:left;z-index:-10;width:50%;height:600px;background-color:black;}.right{position:relative;float:right;z-index:-10;width:50%;height:600px;background-color:pink;}</style><body><div><div class="left"> </div><div class="right"></div></div></body></html>

Put the left contents in left div and the right contents in right div.

Here is the code.
<html><head><style type="text/css">.left{position:relative;float:left;z-index:-10;width:50%;height:600px;background-color:black;}.right{position:relative;float:right;z-index:-10;width:50%;height:600px;background-color:pink;}</style><body><div><div class="left"> </div><div class="right"></div></div></body></html>

Put the left contents in left div and the right contents in right div.

thanks mani_!!! :)

add the body margin:0 in stylesheet.

hi again mani_!i tried searching for body margin but all i can find are the margins for paragraph. ill try searching some more but if you happen to have the code i'd really appreciate it :) thanks again so much!Jonas gave me this html code and i want it to appear like this but the code you gave me will make it so much easier because of the div left and right. hope you can help me again :)<html><head><title>Untitled</title><style type="text/css"><!--body {background-color: pink;}div#left {width: 50%; /* will make the div half the total width of your page. */height: 100%;position: absolute;top: 0px;left: 0px; /* sticks your div in the top-left corner of your page. */background-color: black;}--></style></head><body><div id="left"><font color="#2B60DE"> Menu content, or whatever you want...</div></body></html>

• 2 months later...
hi again mani_!i tried searching for body margin but all i can find are the margins for paragraph. ill try searching some more but if you happen to have the code i'd really appreciate it :) thanks again so much!Jonas gave me this html code and i want it to appear like this but the code you gave me will make it so much easier because of the div left and right. hope you can help me again :)<html><head><title>Untitled</title><style type="text/css"><!--body {background-color:  pink;}div#left {width: 50%; /* will make the div half the total width of your page. */height: 100%;position: absolute;top: 0px;left: 0px; /* sticks your div in the top-left corner of your page. */background-color: black;}--></style></head><body><div id="left"><font color="#2B60DE"> Menu content, or whatever you want...</div></body></html>

this works if you have:<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">(or the default doctype...) but this is HTNLbut if doctype is:<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">wich is XHTML...then there is no 100% of height...the same for tables or any tag - az i see...Is XHTML can support height:100% at all?as much as i can see - no... anyone?