Setting page sections

Catriona McLeod

Maybe I'm missing something but if you set the column widths as percentages, surely the actual width of the columns depends on the width of the browser window in which the page is opened. I want to set the central column at 600px independant of the size of the browser window and without using a centrally aligned table. Is this possible?I appreciate your help.Catriona

If you usee a percentage, it will be proportional to the size of the broswer window unless there is an image that is bigger which will force scroll bars. And pixels will be the same size no matter what size screen someone has and how big there browser is.

Is it possible to divide a webpage into three sections with variable width margins and a fixed width central section (600px) without using a centrally aligned table? Are there accessibility issues with nesting centrally aligned tables for visually impaired users? I'd appreciate any help.Catriona
What are you referring to as "variable width margins"? The fixed central column is easy enough. Set body {width:600px; margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto; text-align:center;}. Then reset the margins on the child elements after this to get left-aligned or whatever, but that should centre the Body regardless of the window size. Now if you could define the "variable width margins", we can answer this question better, maybe.

Set body {width:600px; margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto; text-align:center;}.
How unbelievably simple! I wonder why the small charitable body that I work for has spent over £4500 on a web developer who doesn't know this. Our project has been delayed by eighteen months because he was unable to implement a centrally aligned design and refused to use tables (with good reason maybe). Looking the CSS section I see that text within the body can easily be set within right and left margins.The variable side sections are immaterial as they have no content and can vary according to the size of the browser window.Thank you so very much. Tomorrow I'm going to kick ######. And ask for a pay rise!Catriona