Spammers

vchris

I've started to be active on this forum 7 months ago but started to Post couple of weeks ago. and no, i do not talk about 'justsomeguy' because he has alot of post but because I believe he is one of the most active member on this forum, and because he seems to spend couple hours each day to surf on the forum(Which is I think more than any Members or Mods out there)That's the only reason why I named him more than anyone.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of any nomination made, moderator nominations will not be considered at all until the moderator team has had a discussion that concludes that another moderator is needed to control the membership. Right now, that is not a requirement we feel this forum is drawing closer toward. We appreciate the ideas and assistance, but having moderated SEVERAL forums over my years, two things moderators dislike the most are anonymous moderator nominations and members asking or nominating themselves for a moderator position. Basically, its a slap in our face. I know it is not meant that way, but if we are capable of realizing when we have lost control of a situation - and 9 times out of 10 my experience has shown that the loss of control has come from having too many moderators. So lets just consider this nipped in the butt. I'd rather spend more time helping people and tweaking the system to reduce/eliminate spam.BTW, on any other forum, this topic would be closed at this point - so please note and understand why it is not. Thanks

Do you panic, like my wife's family, whenever the weather forecast calls for showers?
Heck no, we get 7 inches of rain per year, when it rains I like to go out. But the majority of our rain only happens during a couple months, so we can go for several months without a drop. Then one day it gets all cloudy and people walk around looking confused.
he seems to spend couple hours each day to surf on the forum
Don't tell my boss

Haha! But what about monsoons? You get oodles of rain then! (can I just cal you steve? I dont feel like typing in justsomeguy!) Warn level, I dont like that thing.. Im at 20% =\ 10% for being mean and another 10% for having "want to be a mod behavior". Which I dont remember getting contacted about or anything, I just saw it :).

I just got lost in Wikipedia again. Apparently the state has an average rain of 12.7 inches, but Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix records an average of 8.3 inches per year. Hmm, good to know.. Rainfall is heaviest in March and July, but not by a whole lot. Rainfall is lowest Apr-Jun. I see...Phoenix is the metro area in the US with the most days over 100F, and Flagstaff is the metro area in the lower 48 with the most days with a low below freezing. Interesting... who keeps track of this stuff? Are we paying them?Apparently we are lacking an official state beverage. I bet Wisconsin's is beer (apparently it's milk; how disappointing). And our state fossil(?) is petrified wood. Our official state neckwear is a bola tie. I would like to announce my nomination for my cat, Mama, to be the official state housecat of Arizona.But we also have the Phoenix lights, which sadly I did not see:http://www.spartechsoftware.com/dimensions...oenixLights.htmClearly they are 5 military flares travelling in formation for 300 miles.Don't even get me started on UFOs, that's a whole nother thread. Or forum.And you can call me whatever you want. Except Shirley, don't call me that.

When it comes to mods, we did a pretty good job spreading them around (well, not use. It just happens to be so.) the world, so we get more coverage than the average forum. It doesn't take too many mods--it takes less overlapping of mod times and more time coverage. We really don't need any mods. We're fine right now--it's not like we keep up at night thinking about the spam we're going to see in the morning. At least I don't. :)What we really need to think of is how to stop the spam. And we're doing a pretty good job with that too. We're doing okay. We should wait till next year before even thinking of another mod. Maybe when the member list hits 10000. :)

Like I said, I'm not sure if this even exists, but if you could check the poster's IP against a ROKSO-type database or RBL, then that may be the most effective way to programmatically determine if a poster is a spambot. I'm not sure how this software works, but that may require some intervention from a higher power. Like an admin.

We just got it pretty hard today. Yesterday it was 14C and today -10C with 50km/h wind + snow + rain/freezing rain + ice pellets. Ah the beauty of All-Wheel-Drive :)

Guys? On topic please? :/This isn't the World Wide Weather Site Forums. :)We're working harder to keep spam down, and we're doing a pretty good job, but at the end, you guys are the most helpful at sighting spam. So if you do see some, please report it? :)

this is done - too many conversations going on in one post.as far as the original topic is concerned - we are working on it, consider any reduction in spam as an obvious indicator that our efforts are succeeding - otherwise, rest assured that we are working on it.