Difference Bet. MS SQL AND ORACLE SQL

Pradyumna

Hi,    I can't understand what is the difference bet.  SQL SERVER 2000  SQL andORACLE SQL.

The basic syntax for each is the same, all databases (or at least the majority) use a common set of SQL commands. You will however find some small differences, such as Top (MS) vs. Limit (Oracle) - Used to show first so many rows in a query. The bigger difference between the two occurs when you look at the more complex parts of the languages used by both servers, Oracle uses PL/SQL and MS uses Transact-SQL. Once again, if you know one, you can easily learn the other, but there are syntactical differences.Hope that helps.

Here is a good article showing the differences between MS SQL 2000 and Oracle 9i. Obviously both databases have been updated since the article was written but it should give you a rough idea. It was actually harder to find a good article then I thought, since most of them were completely biased, as in the whole site/magazine would be dedicated to one or the other and then try to say they were giving objective opions on the two....anyways, I digress, the link below should take you to a good unbiased review comparing the two (older versions though).http://www.databasejournal.com/features/ms...10894_2170201_2Let me know if you have any questions.

Here is a good article showing the differences between MS SQL 2000 and Oracle 9i. Obviously both databases have been updated since the article was written but it should give you a rough idea. It was actually harder to find a good article then I thought, since most of them were completely biased, as in the whole site/magazine would be dedicated to one or the other and then try to say they were giving objective opions on the two....anyways, I digress, the link below should take you to a good unbiased review comparing the two (older versions though).http://www.databasejournal.com/features/ms...10894_2170201_2Let me know if you have any questions.

And Plz tell me difference bet. ORACLE SQL*PLUS AND MS SQL

And Plz tell me difference bet. ORACLE SQL*PLUS  AND MS SQL

I do not have any experience with Oracle other than what I hear and a few things I have read, but from what I understand, Oracle SQL*Plus is just another extension of the SQL language that allows people to write more complex queries, and I believe it is especially useful for formatting (but not positive on that at all).

SQL*Plus is a command line SQL and PL/SQL language interface and reporting tool that ships with the Oracle Database Client and Server. It is not an extention of SQL.Also LIMIT is for MySql, you need to use WHERE ROWNUM <= number in oracle.Anothere different is the CHARINDEX() function used in SQL Server, Oracel used INSTR() instead.

SQL*Plus is a command line SQL and PL/SQL language interface and reporting tool that ships with the Oracle Database Client and Server. It is not an extention of SQL.Also LIMIT is for MySql, you need to use WHERE ROWNUM <= number in oracle.Anothere different is the CHARINDEX() function used in SQL Server, Oracel used INSTR() instead.

See...told you my knowledge of Oracle was limited :) I try to read what I can about all the different database systems, but I often get them confused with each other since I really only use MS SQL. Thanks for correcting me aspnetguy, now hopefully I won't stick my foot in my mouth again :)