Starting and Stopping Background Music with Buttons

tedvieira

I'm a little new to Flash. I'm using MX2004 Professional.I've created a website that has background music. I've been able to create a text button to stop the music if the visitor wants to. I just typed the phrase "music off," converted it to a Button symbol. Then I selected the text button, went to the Behavior Panel and clicked on the "+" sign, selected Sounds>Stop All Sounds. That works fine.Then I did a similar proceedure to create a button to turn the music on but when I go to the Behavior Panel, click on +, select Sounds>Play.... then a dialog box pops up and asks me to: "Type the name of the sound instance to play." and there's a blank text fied for me to type in.How do I know the "name of the sound instance?" I've gone to the layer where the sound file (mp3) is but can't find any thing about the name of the instance.I would really appreciate any help. Thanks,Ted

In your library, where the file is, you need to right click on the file and choose Linkage. From there check the box that says Export For Actionscript and a text field will become available to edit. Call it what you want and then when the actionscript prompts you to input an instance name, place the exact same name you put into the export for actionscript box.