ARGH!!!!

queensvilleantiquemall

Im having trouble(and alot of it) with emailing a form, I've never done this so im not sure if im even doing it right... i have the forum up and everything but when you click submit nothing shows up in outlook... its just a blank email... can someone give me a hand??www.queensvilleantiquemall.com/request is the linkand the code im using is...

<form action="MAILTO:queensvilleantiquemall@gmail.com" method="post" enctype="text/plain"><h3>Request Form</h3>Name:<br><input type="text" name="name"value="yourname" size="20"><br>E-Mail:<br><input type="text" name="mail"value="yourmail" size="20"><br>Address:<br><input type="text" name="name"value="youraddress" size="20"><br>Request:<br><input type="text" name="comment"value="yourrequest" size="40"><br>Date needed by:<br><input type="text" name="name"value="dateneededby" size="20"><br><br><input type="submit" value="Send"><input type="reset" value="Reset"></form>

You can't do it with html alone. You can use html to lay out the form nicely but you then need some sort of scripting language to process the information that has been entered by the user. php is a scripting language although there are others.What should happen when the submit button is clicked is that "form action" calls a new page eg sendmail.php This page then obtains all the information passed to it by the form and carries out the script on the page. Part of this script will check that a valid email address has been entered. If all is OK, the email is sent - but you need your website hosted on a server that is capable of the emailing function as well as being able to run scripts like php.

You can't do it with html alone. You can use html to lay out the form nicely but you then need some sort of scripting language to process the information that has been entered by the user. php is a scripting language although there are others.What should happen when the submit button is clicked is that "form action" calls a new page eg sendmail.php This page then obtains all the information passed to it by the form and carries out the script on the page. Part of this script will check that a valid email address has been entered. If all is OK, the email is sent - but you need your website hosted on a server that is capable of the emailing function as well as being able to run scripts like php.
wow all that went totally over my head but ok...i think i understand and thanks! this is the first time i've ever built a website like this using html...thanks again

No, you can make an email form using HTML, I use them in both my guestbook and y feedback on my site. I understand that it is not very good and there are a lot of problems with but it can be done. :)Have a look at my site for example by following the lin in my signature then go to a feedback or guestbook and look at the source.

• 2 weeks later...