What web language should I choose

Anna101

I I would like to build a dynamic web site, with a search engine in it, and I have trouble determing which programming language & data base to choose,Since there are so many options...The important things for me about the site is that 1. it will run fast server code (even for many users)2. Quick displaying of pages (even if a lot a graphics and jpg involves in the page)3. Low cost of maintaining relatively large database (1-2 is top preference, 3 is important for the long run...)The preformance should be close to larger sites today as http://www.youtube.com/.If you can, in addition to your preference, please mention your recommanded developing environment for this language)also astimated cost would be nice... :)Thanks, Anna

Well have fun doing that! For fastness you will want to use a compiled language, I think C# would be best suited for this. Maybe C++? Its between those two, aspnetguy will decide :).

Well, stuff like images depend on the user's download speed as well, so a programming language or database can't guarantee fast load of pages, it's only you who can do that through careful choice of file size and resolution for your images.

Well have fun doing that! For fastness you will want to use a compiled language, I think C# would be best suited for this. Maybe C++? Its between those two, aspnetguy will decide :).
I think C# is better suited for webprogramming, as it was made with asp.net in mind, and is microsoft's answer to Java. C++ is an application language, right?

So many factors in determining the right choice and so little detail given. The last thing you should be thinking about is your server side language - the first thing you need to have is a functional specification. That will drive the decision making as you begin to create your technical specification. If you need help - draw up a good functional spec and open it to bids. I know this practice is borderline ethically acceptable - but draw your spec and ask design/development firms to reply to your RFP (request for proposal). They will specify what technologies they would use/prefer and you can go from there.But, if you want to got the "easy" route and ask opinions, you will still get no where but making a decision on your own, cuz everyone is gonna say something different, like me:Try these out (Flex2):https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a227210/p1...f?download=truehttp://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/...flex_part1.htmlhttp://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/...flex_part2.htmlhttp://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/...flex_part3.htmlhttp://www.adobe.com/devnet/coldfusion/articles/fr_fds.htmlhttp://www.adobe.com/devnet/coldfusion/art...grate_flex.htmlhttp://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/http://flex.org/http://try.flex.org/But thats just a sample of my bias. I've not even broken out into my ColdFusion crusade.:)

Additional to what has already been said, if you want to have a site that can handle as much traffic as youtube.com, you're going to need to have servers spread all over the world. Folks accessing the site from the western half of North America might access a server in California while those accessing the site in Germany may need to connect to a server in Italy or something. If you only have one cluster of servers, the farther the users are away from the servers, the slower the connection is going to be for those users.

Well have fun doing that! For fastness you will want to use a compiled language, I think C# would be best suited for this. Maybe C++? Its between those two, aspnetguy will decide :) .
You can get C++ to run over the web (bundled with PHP) but it is not owrth banging your head on the wall to get ti to work.I would recommend ASp.Net (C#) for speed on pages with high traffic. That being said how much traffic are you expecting? As much as YouTube? With lower amounts of traffic any language will perform well.I would reccomend Visual Web Developer Express. It is free from Microsoft's website. For a database I would reccomend Sql Server Express, also free, unless you need Full text Search or Stored Procedures then you will have to buy The full version of Sql Server.

It looks like youtube.com is running on Apache servers, so I would assume they are using either PHP or Perl to serve the pages. It looks like www.youtube.com/index.php loads the index page. It looks like Google uses a lot of C++ and python.

all the comparisons to google and youtube should really just be thrown out the window (by both sides of table) . . . UNLESS of course you have the budget they do. THEN AGAIN, if you did, then this would be the last place anyone should be looking for advice.Anyway, I just removed a paragraph in my reply - I started ranting about the countless times I've heard and continue to hear clients constantly using certain sites as their examples of "the kind of stuff we want to do". Which is fine, I have no issue with goals being set (at any level, high or low). But you still have to be realistic - and I doubt any of the sites mentioned in these comparisons still use ANY of the original code. So, you will rewrite your site before its making millions - I know this first hand.And that's why I go back to my typical position - make a business plan. The process of writing one will unveal all your questions.(ok, sorry, I'm a little grumpy today - just doing more and more of my boss's work):-(

Wow, can I take a look at your business plan??? :)
are you willing to sign an NDA?
(under growth Stage II) . . . . analyze the latest technologies used for rapid internet development and weigh them against technologies used throughout the current application . . .
there is a spin off of this for what I'll do if I find newer technologies appear to offer more efficient applications. A staged migration, if you will - first the code, then the database (if needed). But any more details, and I'd seriously have ta' kill ya'!:)[additional note]Just browse ebay, you will find .html, .shtml, .dll, and even .cfm pages. I do not think they started out with so many different technologies. :)

are you willing to sign an NDA?But any more details, and I'd seriously have ta' kill ya'!
Someone is touchy today :) j/k :) but seriously how much experience do you have with million dollar sites...incase you didn't catch my joke. I am very capable of writing a business plan :)

Someone is touchy today :) j/k :) but seriously how much experience do you have with million dollar sites...incase you didn't catch my joke. I am very capable of writing a business plan :)
One of these days, I'm going to ask you what a business plan is. But until then, I'm going to act all cool and say that I own a billion dollar site. Unfortunately, it was before any of you were born, and then google bought it, so I can't show it to you. Sorry. :blink::blink:

Well considering the topic, which web language did you use to do that back in the 70s?
I'd tell you, but I'm afraid you don't know enough to comprehend the awesomeness of it. I used telepathy. The server was in my mind, and the language was thought controlled. Like I said, google bought it, so I can't show it to you now. :)Okay, I think I've gone off-topic enough. :)

Someone is touchy today :blink: j/k :) but seriously how much experience do you have with million dollar sites...incase you didn't catch my joke. I am very capable of writing a business plan :)
lol - sorry, I wasn't tryingt o sound rude - should have put a smiley face after that line. But to answer your question, I am actually in the process of migrating a site I did three years ago. I coded a content managment system for them and purchased and integrated a shopping cart for them. Well, their site grew from $100k to $1m in those three years and the MS Access database is struggling to survive. So, into a new cart application and one that is offsite and integrated with their warehouse. So coordinating a site to work with three different environments is touchy. The site I am responsible for at work does three times as much business but I do not have direct management over the back end transaction processing, I am more responsible for the front end layout/presentation.And I was half serious about the NDA, if you want to see my plan and/or know where I can get some venture capital, I'm all about having a meeting. :)

One of these days, I'm going to ask you what a business plan is. But until then, I'm going to act all cool and say that I own a billion dollar site. Unfortunately, it was before any of you were born, and then google bought it, so I can't show it to you. Sorry. :):)
I just turned 19. How old are you again? :)

And back to the subject -I want to build something that it will be capable to extend it in the future.However the base should remain the same,(I don't want to start and change the whole program),- What do you mean by advance word search in SQL?Another question, how much is the environment costing / licence I need from

Mysql, Apache and Php are all free.Downloadable as an all-in-one package from several sources including XAMMP, a one-click installer package. Or from their seperate web-sites, but I find the packages are convenient.

And back to the subject -I want to build something that it will be capable to extend it in the future.However the base should remain the same,(I don't want to start and change the whole program),- What do you mean by advance word search in SQL?Another question, how much is the environment costing / licence I need from
If you code neatly with any of the server side languages and make sure your database is structured well, you'll be able to update your site easily in the future. Also, it would be a good idea to use includes as much as possible. :)

If you code neatly with any of the server side languages and make sure your database is structured well, you'll be able to update your site easily in the future. Also, it would be a good idea to use includes as much as possible. :)
Exclusion to this rule is if you're not sure about which server side scripting language you prefer and/or if such simply isn't available. But I'm not going to start my XSLT raid :) .