C++ editors and compilers

virtualadz

If you downloaded and installed Visual C++ Express then you have a compiler already built in. You just need to write the program and compile with VS. One thing I like about VC++ is that it comes with Win32 and MFC already intregrated. I don't like fooling with libraries and trying to link them.

As you can see in this screenshot http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/...atures/ideview/ you should have a "Project" and "Build" menu bar items which you don't.Did you do the recommended/standard install or did you do a custom install?I recommend uninstalling VC++ and re-downloading it fromt he website again and doing another install just to ensure you didn't get a corrupted download.

After some searching i found this"You will need to create a new project and add your C++ file into it. Then you will be able to build the project.Take a look at the last video at http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/learning...ds/default.aspx where it contains some step by step procedure."As said......i downloaded the video......and now the build menus can be seen (Screenshot).......the process was to go through File, New, Project from Existing code. but now when i build that file it shows error ...........the program is a simple one........the error is that........fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h': No such file or directoryI just dont have any idea where it went wrong.thanks

Q6: Why do I get error "error C2065: 'cout' : undeclared identifier" even though I have included <iostream>?A6: Standard C++ library is implemented in its own namespace "std". Make sure to add the statement
using namespace std;

in the beginning of your program or to qualify each Standard C++ library identifier with namespace std, for example, std::cout.

So your program should look something like this
#include <iostream>using namespace std;int main(){  cout << "Hello World!";  return 0;}

It get all well.........but just after successfully building the file.........when i click on Start Without Debuggin....it shows the error (Screenshot)...........do i need to re-install it ( the download i think was without any errors....) .........moreover it takes 3 hrs to download this....i just want to practice c++.....is there any other simple program that u can recommend.

not sure what to tell you, I never had any problems. Try an reinstall (not redownload). I am afraid simple and C++ do not go together. I think you will find VC++ is one of the simplest programs for C++, you could also try DevC++ it is pretty good. Most libraries provide a "DevPak" which is an aquto installer of the library for DevC++.

Got it !it shows without error.through File> Project from Existing Code > and in the "Specify Project Settings" step.......i clicked on to add support for ATL, MFC, and Common language runtime.and used the project type as "Console Application project"there also other options under project type like "Windows Application Project", Dynamically Linked Library (DLL) project" and "Static Library Project"..............do i need to know which one to use or just continue with Console Application projectone more thing do i need to use this using namespace std; in each and every program?many thanks !!!!

Got it !it shows without error.through File> Project from Existing Code > and in the "Specify Project Settings" step.......i clicked on to add support for ATL, MFC, and Common language runtime.and used the project type as "Console Application project"there also other options under project type like "Windows Application Project", Dynamically Linked Library (DLL) project" and "Static Library Project"..............do i need to know which one to use or just continue with Console Application projectone more thing do i need to use this using namespace std; in each and every program?many thanks !!!!
A Console Application is a program that runs in DOS (or other OS command line) so if that is what you want/need then use a Console Project. If you want a application with Windows, etc use Windows Application Project, this will use Win32 library.As for using namespace std; I would use it on each program unless you want to do this std::cout, etc for every std command :)

torture, huh :) , u frightening away a newbie :)
no honestly people get scared of C++ because it is so complex, but its complexity is what makes it so powerful. Just keep at it and it will get easier. After a while you'll forget why you thought it was hard :)

sure...i wil keep practising it..playing it well and understand each concept level by level. I never knew i did get into this. 2 yrs ago started with web design (and still havent completed the HTML tutorials of this site). but i left web design (i dont know why). When i joined the institute i thought of taking JAVA, and he advised me for a base in C++. though i dont know wat i m going to do with it. Also need to manage schools with that :) BTW: i like ur site layout, especially the numberings.

sure...i wil keep practising it..playing it well and understand each concept level by level. I never knew i did get into this. 2 yrs ago started with web design (and still havent completed the HTML tutorials of this site). but i left web design (i dont know why). When i joined the institute i thought of taking JAVA, and he advised me for a base in C++. though i dont know wat i m going to do with it. Also need to manage schools with that :) BTW: i like ur site layout, especially the numberings.
Thanks, hopefully I can scrap together some time to work on it soon :)