W3Schools and W3C

pieterj

Hi there,I came accross the "www.w3schools.com" website and saw that there are quite a few certification exams one could complete; can you tell me if this certification is approved by W3C and if it is Internationally recognized ? (At least in South Africa, Australia and New Zealand)Thank youPieter Jacobs

Hi there,I came accross the "www.w3schools.com" website and saw that there are quite a few certification exams one could complete; can you tell me if this certification is approved by W3C and if it is Internationally recognized ? (At least in South Africa, Australia and New Zealand)Thank youPieter Jacobs

Well, I can't say for sure since I am not the owner/operator of w3schools, or w3c. But I do not believe it is approved by W3C. While it is easy to think that the two groups are one and the same, or at least might work closely together, I do not believe they do. W3C and w3schools are completely separate entities.As far as who recognizes the certificates, I guess that is purely based on what company/country you are talking to. The website for the certifications shows many U.S. universities that do recommend the certifications.But once again, this is all my own opinion from what I have seen around here.

Hi,Thanks a lot for the reply, I'll continue with the certifications.thanks,Pieter

• 2 weeks later...

wow I really would have thought that the two sites would be working closely with each other. I mean, i thoght w3c was the organization, and w3cschools was the organization's education site.Well, even knowing this, I will get try for my HTML Certification. No one in the world can deny the fact that it comes from W3Schools and that they have the best html education guides around. Plus, I'm sure that the US$59 is used well.

wow I really would have thought that the two sites would be working closely with each other. I mean, i thoght w3c was the organization, and w3cschools was the organization's education site.

Well, the thing is that the site isn't called w3cschools, but just w3schools. Meaning they teach w3 = www. So you could say it's wwwschools. But how would that look?www.wwwschools.coma bit many w's for my taste anyway. w3schools.com does teach webstandards, so I guess you could say they work closely with the w3c, but not necessarily the other way around. w3c.org also has certain tutorials of their own, now you mention it. You just have to look in the right places. :)

wow I really would have thought that the two sites would be working closely with each other. I mean, i thoght w3c was the organization, and w3cschools was the organization's education site.Well, even knowing this, I will get try for my HTML Certification. No one in the world can deny the fact that it comes from W3Schools and that they have the best html education guides around. Plus, I'm sure that the US$59 is used well.

This is a very nice compliment to kaijim for a job well done. To such a solid tutorial based site be associated with the standards organization is no doubt a great "side effect".Just more proof you've done a great job kaijim. :)

I'll drink to that. Thanks for the great material you put together. It is very much appreciated. Before finding this site I was frustrated with going from site to site finding tuts on different technologies. It is nice ot have everything in one place.Cheers!

Yes this is the best tool i have found and it is written in a way that i dont get bored often, and if i happen to at anytime i just leave and come back another time.i started with the html for dummies books, it was awsome and easy to understand but i outgrew that very quickly and then realized that all the big boys played here at w3schools, so slowly but surely im trying to step it up a little and join in the fun and frustration of web development.

• 2 weeks later...
wait, all the site's tuts were written by one person?holy poop!

Yes, all by one person.That is a lot of time and commitment!Thanks again.

Of course they weren't written by just kaijim, or any one person.http://www.w3schools.com/about/about_refsnes.aspHege, Ståle and Jan Egil Refsnes started the site, and it seems had the biggest part in making the site.I googled "kai jim refsnes", and found he got his education here:http://www.nith.no/English.phpSo he probably knows his stuff. I don't think they've upgraded the about_refsnes site in quite a while, or kaijim would probably be on there...