xhtml-mp

supertrucker

Okay, as a novice web author, I'm becoming extremely frustrated with the lack of good information on xhtml-mp. Some sites recommend just using xhtml-basic for WAP browsers, or simply using WML. Other sites suggest using strictly xhtml-basic and using a parser to convert the xhtml code to WML. So, trying to conform to standards, and possibly having a HUGE lack of understanding, I set all the DTD's and headers in my pages for XHTML-MP, it's supposed to the be the new WAP 2.0, right? After I did this, however, my pages stopped validating. Here is the message I got from the W3C Validator:

Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content type is application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml, which is not currently supported by this service. The Content-Type field is sent by your web server (or web browser if you use the file upload interface) and depends on its configuration. Commonly, web servers will have a mapping of filename extensions (such as ".html") to MIME Content-Type values (such as text/html).
Am I missing something obvious here? I would like to keep my site conformed to xhtml-mp, but I guess if I have to, I can set it back to XHTML-basic. It must be something I am missing, because w3c sets the standards for xhtml-mp! I could really use some help, before I begin using this PC as a boat anchor!ps. I guess I should also add that I am using the xhtml-mp in PHP scripts, but the page should still validate as xhtml-mp, right? Here's the header and DTD I'm using if it should be relevant:
<?php	header('Content-type: application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml');	echo '<?xml version="1.0"?' . '>';?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD XHTML Mobile 1.0//EN" "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/xhtml-mobile10.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Thank you,Supertrucker :)

According to an article on xml.com which you linked to, the "Open Mobile Alliance" suggests the MIME type you're using. So it's not exactly a W3C standart. The W3C standart is the normal XHTML MIME type of application/xhtml+xml.I suggest you use XHTML Basic and use WURFL (see the second page of the article) to add additional non-basic content which the device would be able to handle.

According to an article on xml.com which you linked to, the "Open Mobile Alliance" suggests the MIME type you're using. So it's not exactly a W3C standart. The W3C standart is the normal XHTML MIME type of application/xhtml+xml.I suggest you use XHTML Basic and use WURFL (see the second page of the article) to add additional non-basic content which the device would be able to handle.
Thanks for your help. I've been reading up quite a bit lately on the WURFL, so I think that I will use their resources for site/device compatibility, just as soon as I figure out how to drop the right code in!Supertrucker :)