What now?

ownage

i think, perl, php and asp are all server side scripts, what are there +'s and -'s, ppl say php is for linux users coz they cant use asp, but then y is asp so much more expensive? i was leaning towards php but im not so sure now..., i read from .net asp section that it supports c++ so im thinking woot, im geussing the others dont? also can some one clarify what html dom is. and why not just stik e4x as an update for js?

Actually PHP can run on Windows too. It runs pretty well infact.Perl is as far as I'm aware very slow. I'm not sure how slow scince I haven't used it, but slow non the less.ASP can contain C# codes as far as I've heared. And C# is not C++, but a variation of C developed by... yup... Microsoft of course. ASP can only run under the IIS HTTP server which is made by... right again.HTML DOM is... well... how should I explain it. It's a set of standart objects for manipulating the source of HTML documents. It's not used only with JavaScript, but with other languages too. See the examples for more info.E4X is truly a sort of an update for JS, but it's not that widely implemented to think of it as part of JS' core.

in the .net section it says microsoft is trying to standadize something or other, any way why dont people just use php and js as the standard instead of asp and vb script? the syntax of php and javascript are like the same as c & c++ so if u could get php to run c++ it would own, on w3schools at the end of js section they say to learn asp. so is there any other benifets of it?

I'd ask, why doesn't everyone just use ColdFusion and Javasscript. CF is easy to learn, its free, and its a tag based language, and its built on a J2EE platform.This is going to be a conversation that goes on for years - why buy GM instead of Ford. Why buy BMW instead of Mercedes. . .

I think these are two different questions. The first is which server-side language to use. There's not one right answer. You can spend all your time learning PHP and MySQL and be able to do everything blindfolded, but if your client has Microsoft servers and does not want to install any other software and only has ASP.NET with the framework 2.0 and SQL Server 2005 installed, guess what you're going to be using? The key is to be flexible. The important thing is to have a good understanding of server-side concepts, regardless of the specific syntax you need to use for a given project. If you already know C-style syntax, then PHP will probably be easier for you to use to learn server-side concepts like dealing with file uploads, form processing, sessions, cookies, database connections, etc. If you already know Java-style syntax, then C#.NET will probably be easiest for you to pick up. If you don't know anything yet, I would argue that the functional approach to PHP would probably be easier to learn for a beginner then the object-oriented approach of C#. I wouldn't recommend Visual Basic for anything, it started as a purely educational language and I think it's doomed to be replaced by several other things.The second question is why don't people use ColdFusion. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't use ColdFusion because I've never taken a project that required it, that's probably the only reason. There's nothing compelling me not to use PHP when I can, so I go with what I know.As for the HTML DOM, DOM stands for document object model. The DOM is a conceptual model of how the page is broken down. It uses object-orientation and inheritance to relate everything. It is a series of objects that represent the page and everything on it. There is an object for the document itself, and then every element inside the document, such as the head, the body, a div element, a form element, etc. The DOM is the programmatic representation of the objects and properties that you are creating with the HTML markup.