access database write permission

aaront1

hi, i am a beginning. I am testing the code that w3schools has, and I can display and sort my access database with no problem. But when i try to test the add , update, or delete code, it doesn't really work. it says something update permission error. i am using winxp, with iis, and using firefox to test my code.any idea? do i need to have extra codes that open my database write permission?

The problem isn't with the code, it's the database itself. Find your database file, and try to right-click on it and make sure it is not read-only. I've never connected to Access through ASP, but you may also need to give the internet user permissions to modify the file through Windows. If you need to do that, the internet user is called IUSR_[server name].

I am sure the file itself is not read only, since i can add or change data in Access manually. but will it be the version matter? i am using Access 2000. how do you do that IUSR_[server name] to give internet user permission? can you give me an example or any web link that related to this? (and I am only trying those codes through localhost, is it really required to modify for the internet user to make it works?)thanks

The internet user is the user account that the IIS process uses to do everything. So, anything that you are doing with ASP, or IIS in general, you are doing with the IUSR account.I'm not sure how it works on Windows 2000, but on XP I can right-click on a file, select the Security tab, and choose which user accounts have access to the file.