pseudo-class discrepencies between browsers

A-Damage

I have tried using the :hover pseudo-class for li elements to give a bit of dynamics to rollovers for links. Basically I use something like this (although I would probably use some sort of image, i.e. an arrow, instead of the basic item marker):

<html><head><style type="text/css">body{font:10pt verdana;color:black;}ul {list-style-type:none;}li:hover {list-style-type:disc;}a:link, a:visited{text-decoration:none;color:dodgerblue;}a:hover{text-decoration:none;color:gray;}a:active{text-decoration:none;color:dodgerblue;}</style></head><body><ul><li><a href="#">Link #1</a></li></ul></body></html>

This works fantastically in Firefox, but IE refuses to show the item marker on hover. Does anyone know why? According to w3schools, the :hover pseudo-class is supported all the way back to IE4. Does the :hover pseudo-class only work for anchors in IE? Thanks in advance for any answers regarding this.Well, nevermind, I guess. I added the XHTML transitional DTD to the code and it seemed to correct the problem.