the humble onclick...

Kreplock

i was hoping to make button functions dynamic by changing the onclick property on the fly. i'm starting to think JS won't let me. simple example:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><title>A Test Page</title><script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!--function clicky() {	alert("clicky");	aForm.aBn.value = "clicked";	aForm.aBn.onclick = "unClicky()";}function unClicky() {	alert("unclicky");	aForm.aBn.value = "clicky";	aForm.aBn.onclick = "clicky()";}//--></script></head><body><form name="aForm">	<input type="button" name="aBn" value="clicky" onclick="clicky()"></form></body></html>

can any tell me what's wrong there, or if it's illegal and why?

When assigning event handlers through the DOM, you're actually assigning a reference to a function rather than calling the function. So, rather than:

aForm.aBn.onclick = "unClicky()";

You'll want:

aForm.aBn.onclick = unClicky;

i hate to be helpless, but i updated my code and get the same behavior (nothing happens on the second click). also, i'm wondering how you would pass arguments using an onclick updated through the DOM?

function clicky() {	alert("clicky");	aForm.aBn.value = "clicked";	aForm.aBn.onclick = "unClicky";}function unClicky() {	alert("unclicky");	aForm.aBn.value = "clicky";	aForm.aBn.onclick = "clicky";}

Rather than assigning a string (e.g. "unClicky"), you need to assign a reference (e.g. unClicky).

<html><body><button id="myButton">Click Me</button><script type="text/javascript">var myButton = document.getElementById("myButton");function handleClick(){    myButton.innerHTML = "You clicked it!";    myButton.onclick = handleUnClick;}function handleUnClick(){    myButton.innerHTML = "Click Me";    myButton.onclick = handleClick;}myButton.onclick = handleClick;</script></body></html>