Domain Name

vchris

I can. Unless you have a few languages or a few formats to choose from, there really is no need for a starting page. You might as well use this as your top logo, but alone on a starting page? Cute, but useless.As for the image itself... I can't really give any suggestions to that either. It is like taken from the stars :) .

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can. Unless you have a few languages or a few formats to choose from, there really is no need for a starting page. You might as well use this as your top logo, but alone on a starting page? Cute, but useless.As for the image itself... I can't really give any suggestions to that either. It is like taken from the stars :) .
Seeing as he's from or located in Quebec, he might want to have a french and and english version..? But yeah, if not as a splash page, then it definetely works as a logo/header image... :)

I was already planning using this as a header for my site.

Seeing as he's from or located in Quebec, he might want to have a french and and english version..? But yeah, if not as a splash page, then it definetely works as a logo/header image... :)
Exactly! I may only start in English first but eventually I'd like to be French and English since most of my jobs are bilingual.Thanks for the feedback. I'll have more updates soon.

WOW. If you're as good with semantic markup as with design, you'll become a legend :) . An example of a first class web developer.

Thanks but I still feel there's something missing in the content area. I usually include the breadcrumb (Home > Portfolio, shows where you are) but I'm not sure if I should use it for a small site like this. I should probably include some kind of small graphic for the h1s.If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

I don't like the fading border idea much. It ruins the... calmness of the main content area.Spacing the "Welcome to my portfolio" would be good though.I know! Put an image (a sample image for now) of the site you've made and make that a link to that site.

Sniffy: I've tried some kind of border around the yellow text and it doesn't work, like boen_robot said, it doesn't fit with the design. What do you mean by spacing the welcome to my portfolio text?boen_robot: What do you mean by:

I know! Put an image (a sample image for now) of the site you've made and make that a link to that site.
Do you mean a thumbnail?

Sniffy: I've tried some kind of border around the yellow text and it doesn't work, like boen_robot said, it doesn't fit with the design. What do you mean by spacing the welcome to my portfolio text?
Increase the length of the content area, and drop the main content(dates and entries) downward.|===WELCOME===|| || || || || || ||===CONTENT===|And I'm not sure if boen_robot was trying to imply this or not, but put a thumbnail with a link to some of your examples of past work and stuff in that space.

I agree with the spacing! I'm working on some kind of graphic for the welcome text. I'll probably add a top 3 most viewed designs on the right.

I really think it would look better on the left. And what's that "New additions"? Indicates that the site was recently updated? If so, I think you might want to use a different color to attract attention. Perhaps orange?

I think vchris means like 'new additions' of his templates that he makes.To vchris: Make the new additions text orange like boen_robot said, but h-center it over the thumnail and align to the top with the welcome to my portfolio sign.

Here's another update.vchristemplatepm9.jpgI think the circle works better since my logo, the V sign, is in a circle.I'm not sure if I should have the welcome text. It doesn't really fit in and same goes for the new additions text.

Almost excellent.Only space out the header further down, or shrink the thumbnail, up to a point where the site name will be above the heading.There should be something under the menu to show the user where he is. A recent article in ALA, which I agree with, states that a navigation should silently answer where the user has been, where he is, and where can he go. Your site is too simple to answer the first question. The third question is obviously answered, scince the simplicity of the navigation, but the second one can only be answered either by changing the style of the nav or (as with your case) putting a good title right below the navigation.

If we're watching the portfolio page, the arrow isn't really answering. You may use the arrow for visited pages instead. Or if you feel a bit more creative- use an orange down arrow (like this one) for the current page and an up blue arrow for visited pages.

Having no arrow for unvisited pages would also be good. If an arrow is a must for consistency's sake, it could be a blue down arrow (exactly like this one). Why? Because the arrow would point the timeline in vertical order. Up blue: past, not present; Down orange: present, now; Down blue: future, not present.

I think that could be confusing for regular users. I think I'll stick with the down arrow for the section the user is in and I'll add a breadcrumb to precise exactly on what page their on.

Sounds good.Perfect.Just since we're talking about layouts, I've been starting my own design, and it's coming along good.I'm going to put a link to it in my signature but I'll put it here too.http://sniffy.awardspace.com1024x768 view.Everything past the 800 mark was coded in css, meaning the rectangle running off the page and the navigation.Suggestions where I should put my content, maybe inside the star with a scroll overflow?But what should I do with the rest of the space?