xs:choice question

Guest ulta

Guest ulta
...<xs:choice><xs:element name="Score" type="scoresRequiringComment" /><xs:element name="Score" type="scoresRequiringValidThrough" /><xs:element name="Score" type="otherScores" /></xs:choice>...

<xs:complexType name="scoresRequiringComment"><xs:sequence><xs:element name="score" nillable="false"><xs:simpleType><xs:restriction base="xs:string"><xs:enumeration value="B" /><xs:enumeration value="C" /><xs:enumeration value="D" /></xs:restriction></xs:simpleType></xs:element><xs:element name="validThrough" type="xs:date" nillable="true" /><xs:element name="comment" type="xs:string" nillable="false" /></xs:sequence></xs:complexType>

<xs:complexType name="scoresRequiringValidThrough"><xs:sequence><xs:element name="score" nillable="false"><xs:simpleType><xs:restriction base="xs:string"><xs:enumeration value="Delay" /></xs:restriction></xs:simpleType></xs:element><xs:element name="validThrough" type="xs:date" nillable="false" /><xs:element name="comment" type="xs:string" nillable="false" /></xs:sequence></xs:complexType>

<xs:complexType name="otherScores"><xs:sequence><xs:element name="score" nillable="false"><xs:simpleType><xs:restriction base="xs:string"><xs:enumeration value="A" /></xs:restriction></xs:simpleType></xs:element><xs:element name="validThrough" type="xs:date" nillable="true" /><xs:element name="comment" type="xs:string" nillable="true" /></xs:sequence></xs:complexType>

Basically, If the score is of value A, a comment and a date are not required but not prohibited. If you have a "Delay", you haev to have a date and a comment. If you have B,C, or D, you have to have a comment, but you don't have to have a date. I get a warning in Visual Studios 2005 about the first code block being ambiguous. Am I doing this correctly, and if I am not, how do I accomplish this (Short of just naming each thing in the choice block a different name (Score1, Score2, Score3), I'd like to avoid that, because I need to parse the XML later and that will bring up complications).

You have a couple of options. But yes, the ambiguity is from the multiple items of the name name. What you could do is define score like this:<xs:element name="Score" type="xs:abstract"><xs:element name="Score1"> <xs:complexType> <xs:complexContent> <xs:extension base="Score">...Then you could see<Score1> ...or<Score xsi:type="Score1">However, this aside, it's generally easier to parse xml if you know exactly what type it is from the name. What are you using to parse it?

Archived