Dreamweaver lbi file validation

Zath

Hello.Are Dreamweaver Library Includes still valid in today's sites ?I find .lbi files a great way to add common content to multiple pages but wonder if they're still compliant with today's strict standards.Thanks for any guidance.

Hello.Are Dreamweaver Library Includes still valid in today's sites ?I find .lbi files a great way to add common content to multiple pages but wonder if they're still compliant with today's strict standards.Thanks for any guidance.
Anyone ?Sorry If I'm not allowed to bump.

As far as I am aware, Dreamweaver Library Items are processed entirely before publication by Dreamweaver, the program using them to output normal HTML files, and thus they have no relevance to the final code and any validation that may be done.

As far as I am aware, Dreamweaver Library Items are processed entirely before publication by Dreamweaver, the program using them to output normal HTML files, and thus they have no relevance to the final code and any validation that may be done.
Sounds obvious when you read it, thanks.I'm considering using library items as a "poor man's" CMS where a client can change text content of a library item. This would enable the client to change content without touching the framework of the site.It would also allow me to only enable client access to the library rather than the whole site. I can apply CSS to the library item or holding Div, to maintain site continuity.Pipe dream or an acceptable approach ?

Well, it's possible, but the client will still need to have, and know how to use Dreamweaver and the DLI functionality.

Well, it's possible, but the client will still need to have, and know how to use Dreamweaver and the DLI functionality.
That's true.I know the client is looking to have access to some of the site to change menus and events etc.Maybe I should look at JQuery to provide areas for such editing.

JavaScript by itself cannot commit persistent changes to the website - at some point you will need to create a server-side script to help you.Though, there are many great free content management systems, like Wordpress, that are easily skinnable and deeply customisable - have you considered using one of them?

• 1 year later...

Referring back to this old topic just in case someone else finds it. I no longer use the old Dreamweaver lbi files, I made the move to php.Instead, I use php includes in the format of <?php include("../library/pagename.php"); ?>I changed primarily because my host server wouldn't resolve lbi files unless the pages were .asp.I recommend this method to anyone.I still use Dreamweaver though.

Archived