RSS / XML (Where to start?)

KristenB

My friend wanted me to create an RSS feed of my website (or parts of it) and I really don't know how to create RSS. I've looked on many websites, but I haven't been able to really understand how things work.My RSS feed (*.xml file) looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?><rss version="2.0"> <channel> <title>Kaibi Studios</title> <description>Keep in contact with Kristen Bisson, and keep in tune with the updates happening on Kaibi Studios. :-)</description> <link>
<docs>
<lastBuildDate>Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:34:49 -0500</lastBuildDate> <pubDate>Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:34:10 -0500</pubDate> <generator>FeedForAll v1.0 (1.0.2.0) unlicensed version</generator> <item> <title>Main Page</title> <description>This is the main page of the website.</description> <link>
<url>
<pubDate>Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:34:10 -0500</pubDate> </item> </channel></rss>

It is validated and everything, but if I change something to that page, will it show up on the person's feed? Help!

Of course it will. Once the reader makes an update check that is.RSS is only a standart set of elements. It's really up to the reading application to decide how to display the stuff, if/when to update it, etc.

Of course it will. Once the reader makes an update check that is.RSS is only a standart set of elements. It's really up to the reading application to decide how to display the stuff, if/when to update it, etc.
So, if I update something on the page, it will show up differently depending on the tool the users use to view it? (If I've understood you correctly...) So, if I update one word on a page, how would it show up? And do I have to RSS every page I want to be RSS'ed? Sorry, I'm very new to this, I just started really looking into it today.

Yes, not sure and yes.Yes, a viewer might only show the description of the page with a link to the title, and the look of this description can be controlled by the application. The viewer might also show the contents of the page in the <link/> element.If you edit anything, the user will know there is something new as soon as it checks the feed for updates.There's no way for an application to find out there's a new page without you telling it. And every page that's not "RSS-ed" is considered not to be news, or simply not new.

Yes, not sure and yes.Yes, a viewer might only show the description of the page with a link to the title, and the look of this description can be controlled by the application. The viewer might also show the contents of the page in the <link/> element.If you edit anything, the user will know there is something new as soon as it checks the feed for updates.There's no way for an application to find out there's a new page without you telling it. And every page that's not "RSS-ed" is considered not to be news, or simply not new.
Thank you for your help! :)