AJAX with PHP example

MichalAugustyniak

Could someone please help me with this one?I've tried the following example:http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_ajax_suggest.asp?The output that I get when I perform a keyup is always:0 if (strlen($q) > 0) { for($i=0; $iWhich indicates that it takes the text from gethint.phpThe code is the same as the example, but here it is anyway:

<html><head><script src="clienthint.js"></script> </head><body><form> First Name:<input type="text" id="txt1"onkeyup="showHint(this.value)"></form><p>Suggestions: <span id="txtHint"></span></p> </body></html>

<?php// Fill up array with names$a[]="Anna";$a[]="Brittany";$a[]="Cinderella";$a[]="Diana";$a[]="Eva";$a[]="Fiona";$a[]="Gunda";$a[]="Hege";$a[]="Inga";$a[]="Johanna";$a[]="Kitty";$a[]="Linda";$a[]="Nina";$a[]="Ophelia";$a[]="Petunia";$a[]="Amanda";$a[]="Raquel";$a[]="Cindy";$a[]="Doris";$a[]="Eve";$a[]="Evita";$a[]="Sunniva";$a[]="Tove";$a[]="Unni";$a[]="Violet";$a[]="Liza";$a[]="Elizabeth";$a[]="Ellen";$a[]="Wenche";$a[]="Vicky";//get the q parameter from URL$q=$_GET["q"];//lookup all hints from array if length of q>0if (strlen($q) > 0){$hint="";for($i=0; $i<count($a); $i++)  {  if (strtolower($q)==strtolower(substr($a[$i],0,strlen($q))))	{	if ($hint=="")	  {	  $hint=$a[$i];	  }	else	  {	  $hint=$hint." , ".$a[$i];	  }	}  }}//Set output to "no suggestion" if no hint were found//or to the correct valuesif ($hint == ""){$response="no suggestion";}else{$response=$hint;}//output the responseecho $response;?>

var xmlHttpfunction showHint(str){if (str.length==0)  {   document.getElementById("txtHint").innerHTML="";  return;  }xmlHttp=GetXmlHttpObject();if (xmlHttp==null)  {  alert ("Browser does not support HTTP Request");  return;  } var url="gethint.php";url=url+"?q="+str;//url=url+"&sid="+Math.random();xmlHttp.onreadystatechange=stateChanged;xmlHttp.open("GET",url,true);xmlHttp.send(null);} function stateChanged() { if (xmlHttp.readyState==4 || xmlHttp.readyState=="complete") {  document.getElementById("txtHint").innerHTML=xmlHttp.responseText;	// window.status=xmlHttp.responseText; } }function GetXmlHttpObject(){var xmlHttp=null;try { // Firefox, Opera 8.0+, Safari xmlHttp=new XMLHttpRequest();// window.status = 'success!'; }catch (e) { // Internet Explorer try  {  xmlHttp=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP");  } catch (e)  {  xmlHttp=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");  } }return xmlHttp;}

What happens when you visit that gethint.php page in your browser? Do you see the PHP code? If so, then you need to configure your webserver to process PHP. If you need help with this, search in the PHP forum, it's been asked a number of times.

Archived