New (old) kid on the block

tjs2902

Hi! Oldtone here,'Thought I'd pop in and, as I have just signed up, say Hi! I'm new to web design, but will try not to be a pain and ask daft questions. :) I'm connected with an organisation that deals with all types of accessibility issues and I have been "volunteered" to develop a web presence for our company. I was hovering around the W3Schools web pages, looking at colours and stuff on CSS and came across the forum - happy to be here. I have rubbish eye-sight and my partner is totally blind, but she can drive a PC and a screen reader like nobody I know, so my big thing with the new site is abviously accessibility......I think W3C is a good place to pick up the knowledge on how to do it.Thanks for reading thisoldtone.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to web development.Personally, I am very excited about having some individuals using assistive technology here at w3schools. I built a version (2002) of infinitec.org's website and had a very interesting experience doing so. I can't say enough to welcome you - I hope to see you involved as much as you can. I feel more members (is everyone listening) can learn a lot from the online challenges people with disabilities face. I hope your presence here will encourage folks to be more sensitive to these needs and have a better appreciation for accessibility standards.A BIG WELCOME to you. I look forward to your contributions.

Welcome. I too feel excited about having a rep that would evaluate our accessibility here at W3Schools. I try to make everything I do accessible, but I have never been able to put anything to the ultimate test.I have no doubt your skills, and the ones of your friend will be of great benefit to all of us, and hopefully - to the web as a whole.err... ok, I'm overreacting a little, but I do mean it.There's something I've been waiting to ask someone and your friend seems to be the perfect person for that. Is IPB (read: this forum) accessible to a screen reader, and thus to blind users? I know it degrades well with JavaScript off, and doesn't use tables for everything, but I've never heared any qualified opinion on its accessibility. Can she register, browse and post without having you assist her? If not, what forum board would you reccomend as accessible, if such exists to begin with?

Archived