Centering for Firefox?

Renegade605

Hi all, in my website I use numerous divs and a few tables, none of which are centered as they should be in Firefox. (They do work in IE)The best/biggest example of this is the entire content div (the on with the green bars on the sides). They are centered in IE because of the CSS code that follows.

<html><head><style type="text/css">body, div.center { text-align: center; }</style></head><body><div> <!-- This div should be centered --><p>text</p><div class="center"><table> <!-- This should also be centered --> </table></div></div></body></html>

That makes the divs/tables centered in IE, but not FF.How can I center them in FF as well?

Sure, it works in IE, but what you're using is an IE workaround, not the preferred CSS method. Text-align centers content, ideally text content. To really make the workaround work, your declaration should be for BOTH the body and html elements, thus:

/* The IE workaround: */body, html {   text-align: center;}/* To make elements center on their own, adjust the margin: */div.center {   margin: 0 auto;}

The second works in all standards-compliant browsers.

Text-align should be used to center text. Use automatic margins to center children.

Archived