cannot position elenent

jimfog

As the title i have problem positioning an element, this element is enclosed in an #all div(like many elements).What happens when i move the element is strange(it is photoalbum element), :When i try to position the element to the left it just disappears-cut away.IT SEEMS that this happens cause the #all element has overflow hidden property:

#all{ background-image:url(/hellenicastrology.gr/templates/templastrology/images/allbackg2.png); background-position:center ; -moz-background-origin:border-box; height:auto; margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto; position:relative; bottom:67px; box-shadow:10px 10px 45px #888888; overflow:hidden;
Follows the html:
<div id="all"><div align="center" id="bread"> <jdoc:include type="modules" name="user2" style="table"/></div><div align="center" id="leftcolumn"><div id="general"><jdoc:include type="modules" name="left" style="table"/></div></div><div id="centralcolumn"><div id="album"><jdoc:include type="modules" name="user3" style="table"/></div><jdoc:include type="component" /> <jdoc:include type="modules" name="right" /></div><div id="zodiac"></div></div>
The site is not live yet so i can show you the problemIf i remove overflow hidden i am able to move the picture.Why that happens?It seems that with the overflow property a limit is imposed(within #all) in the movement of elements.It seems that elements cannot go outside #all.I hope i was clear and sorry for the length of the topic.

First of all, which element are you having problems moving? And what's the CSS for that element?Secondly,

It seems that with the overflow property a limit is imposed(within #all) in the movement of elements.It seems that elements cannot go outside #all.
That's kind of the point of overflow: hidden; isn't it? :) It hides the content that overflows out of the container...

Secondly,That's kind of the point of overflow: hidden; isn't it? :) It hides the content that overflows out of the container...
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.Here is the css of the element i wish to move beyond #all.
.moduletable_alb{ margin-top: 28px; position:relative; clear:both; }
I tried to move it by applying right:somenumber px; So, is there a workaround to it?Many thanks.

Try position: absolute; instead of position: relative;Not sure if that will produce the same behavior or not. If it does, you might have to take the element out of the #all container and use absolute positioning to position it in relation to the entire document (or another container if you prefer).EDIT: Another possible solution is to remove overflow: hidden; from #all. But maybe you need it for something, I'm not sure. You could remove it and see if your page still behaves as you expect. You can always add it back if it doesn't work out.

Try position: absolute; instead of position: relative;Not sure if that will produce the same behavior or not. If it does, you might have to take the element out of the #all container and use absolute positioning to position it in relation to the entire document (or another container if you prefer).EDIT: Another possible solution is to remove overflow: hidden; from #all. But maybe you need it for something, I'm not sure. You could remove it and see if your page still behaves as you expect. You can always add it back if it doesn't work out.
yes, positioning it absolute did solve the problem, thanks.One other q, irrelevant, were the forums here offline for a number of days?

One other q, irrelevant, were the forums here offline for a number of days?
I think so. I was unable to get to them myself for a while. And there seems to be a lapse in forum activity starting on Aug 25 up until early this morning or late last night.

Archived