class question

jimfog

I am reading this tutorial here: http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2013/10/21/challenging-css-best-practices-atomic-approach/

In a section of the article called MARKUP(there are more than one sections named MARKUO), I am talking about the one below a smashing magazine tweet.

In the section to which I am referring above it says

We are using five classes, none of which are related to content:

I cannot understand it. What about class Bfc Fz-s. Is in it related to content? Namely @thierrykoblentz 14 minutes ago

I think by content/context he's saying that he is not using a complex selector to target specific relationships. He is using simple selectors. For example he is not using selectors to target img tags of a certain class that are inside a parent of a certain class. Instead he is going to use more small, simple classes and just apply more of them to elements as needed. The class attribute "Bfc Fz-s" is specifying two classes.

The argument is that complex selectors have created a lot of code bloat and redundancy that could be reduced if smaller, simpler classes were used. This essentially is a move toward something like inline-css, which is currently very much out of style. This approach complicates the html class attributes but simplifies the css style declarations.

Edited by davej