why is this variable null?

Emwat Oon

I have a var thisdoor that's returning null. It's supposed to be the cookie name div123.

var allcookies = document.cookie;        cookiearray = allcookies.split(';');        // Get all the cookies pairs in an array        // Now take key value pair out of this array        for(var i=0; i<cookiearray.length; i++){            name = cookiearray[i].split('=')[0];            value = cookiearray[i].split('=')[1];            var thisdoor = document.getElementById(name);            //thisdoor.className = 'divDoorOpen';            alert(name + "" + thisdoor);            //alert("Key is : " + name + " and Value is : " + value);        }

Can someone tell me why is variable returning null?

I have the div id named div123.

Edited by Emwat Oon

it's hard to tell without seeing the context (markup and how this Javascript is being called), since we don't know

a) if that ID exists and is spelled correctly

b ) if you are executing this after the DOM has been allowed to load

c) the values of your cookie

Hmm.. I might be doing this wrong, but I still have the same results.

<body onload="rememberOpenDoors()"><script>        function rememberOpenDoors() {            var allcookies = document.cookie;            cookiearray = allcookies.split(';');        // Get all the cookies pairs in an array            // Now take key value pair out of this array            for (var i = 0; i < cookiearray.length; i++) {                name = cookiearray[i].split('=')[0];                value = cookiearray[i].split('=')[1];                var thisdoor = document.getElementById(name);                //thisdoor.className = 'divDoorOpen';                alert(name + "" + thisdoor);                //alert("Key is : " + name + " and Value is : " + value);            }        }</script>

it's hard to tell without seeing the context (markup and how this Javascript is being called), since we don't know

a) if that ID exists and is spelled correctly

b ) if you are executing this after the DOM has been allowed to load

c) the values of your cookie

a) The divs are dynamically created in ASP.net's gridview, which communicates with the database

B) See above

c) The only values I'm using at the moment is true/false. In my case, I only need to use the name of the cookie.

Edited by Emwat Oon

Hmm.. I might be doing this wrong, but I still have the same results.

<body onload="rememberOpenDoors()"><script>        function rememberOpenDoors() {            var allcookies = document.cookie;            cookiearray = allcookies.split(';');        // Get all the cookies pairs in an array            // Now take key value pair out of this array            for (var i = 0; i < cookiearray.length; i++) {                name = cookiearray[i].split('=')[0];                value = cookiearray[i].split('=')[1];                var thisdoor = document.getElementById(name);                //thisdoor.className = 'divDoorOpen';                alert(name + "" + thisdoor);                //alert("Key is : " + name + " and Value is : " + value);            }        }</script>

a) The divs are dynamically created in ASP.net's gridview, which communicates with the database

B) See above

c) The only values I'm using at the moment is true/false. In my case, I only need to use the name of the cookie.

a) you can still show us what the markup looks like though after it's generated

c) I don't see you logging anything (allcookies, cookiearray, name, value, etc). How do you know everything is what you expect it to be?

a) The markup is

<tr class="NotinboundTbl"><td style="padding:0;" colspan="8"><div id="div103030041" class="divDoorClosed" style="position: relative; left: 5%; overflow: auto"></div>

c) I was thinking the code I was posting let me do just that. It's typically alert(div123 null)... But I also have firebug enabled and I do see the cookies in there. They are div123 and set on true. The true/false thing though doesn't really matter in my case.

All I'm trying to do is assign the cookie to div123, find cookie div123, change said div123 css class to divDoorOpen.

c) that's the problem, you are assuming. If you just logged the values of everything, you would know for sure.

Right... Assuming is always a bad mindset when debugging.......

console.log("name " + name + " | thisdoor:" + thisdoor + " | thisdoor:" + document.getElementById(name) + " | value: " + value);

name div103030054 | thisdoor:null | thisdoor:null | value:
name div117006704 | thisdoor:null | thisdoor:null | value:
That should trace to this markup.
<tr class="NotinboundTbl"><td style="padding:0;" colspan="8"><div id="div117006704" class="divDoorClosed" style="position: relative; left: 5%; overflow: auto">

So I'm certain the id is there...

Edited by Emwat Oon

in the jsfiddle you wrote window.onload code with the "onload" option in the jsfiddle dropdown. this meant that all that javascript you've written got wrapped inside another fucntion to be called when the page loaded, and after the page load then your code gets assigned to the onload and thus doesn't even run. I always select the "No wrap - in <head>" option as thats the most intuitive for others to follow along (i don't know why that's not the default option)

also "createCookie(div117006704, true, 1);" needs to have the name wrapped in quotes to work, as "createCookie('div117006704', true, 1);".

theres a number of other things that you can fix but using JShint and Tidy can really clean up the code. Here is my update of the code.

Also move away from using cookies and start using Webstorage instead. its alot easier to deal with when you're not having to worry about splicing out cookie arrays, it preserving datatypes, being able to store more and run faster,more secure, etc. etc.

So I've tried a bunch of things... If this helps anyone, the new variable specifiedDoor works like I want it to. I've also tried changing the name of the name variable to thatdoor variable, but I haven't seen anything new.

window.onload = function rememberOpenDoors() {            var allcookies = document.cookie;            var cookiearray = allcookies.split(';');        // Get all the cookies pairs in an array            // Now take key value pair out of this array            for (var i = 0; i < cookiearray.length; i++) {                var name = cookiearray[i].split('=')[0].toString();                var value = cookiearray[i].split('=')[1];                var thisdoor = document.getElementById(name);                var specifiedDoor = document.getElementById('div104027331');                specifiedDoor.className = 'divDoorOpen';                //thisdoor.className = 'divDoorOpen';                //alert(name + " " + thisdoor);                //alert("Key is : " + name + " and Value is : " + value);                //console.log(name);                //console.log(thisdoor);                //console.log("name: " + name + " | thisdoor:" + thisdoor.id + " | thisdoor:" + document.getElementById(name) + " | value: " + value);                console.log("specifiedDoor: " + specifiedDoor.id);            }

I found out about the .id thing when specifiedDoor returned an html document. I tried a lot of things with the .id, but no avail on the whole cookie thing.

I realized what the problem was, but at the same time, I don't know what else to do.

I tacked on a trim() and lo and behold, it works... Cookies are also separated by spaces... I only figured it out when my specifiedDoor returned null today. Derp, of course it's going to return null, it doesn't exist anymore.

Edited by Emwat Oon

as I said, use webstorage. its recommended over Cookies especially in HTML 5. and you don't have to worry about such headaches. Back then, Cookies weren't designed to be used the way everyone uses them today, which is why its such a pain to get everything right.