Offline web apps

iWill

Hi I’m Will from Tasmania.  I’ve used W3Schools for a long time but I think this is the first time I have asked a question here.

I know what a Web App is broadly speaking.  I am trying to create a really simple one that I can use offline - on my iPad.  I have a working page that does what I want and I can add it to the iPad homescreen.  All it does is present a list of links with images and pass to the shortcuts app a url with the choice made. HTML, CSS and some PNG image files.

But I can’t get it to work offline.

I know Apple and Google have very different approaches to web apps.  I’m only concerned with the Apple way for my purposes.

Can anyone point me to information on how to do this?  Preferably with examples?

Edited by iWill
Inadvertently clicked submit
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think to make your web app work offline on your iPad, you can utilize the capabilities of service workers. Service workers allow your web app to cache resources so they can be accessed offline. You'll need to register a service worker in your HTML file and define caching strategies for your assets like HTML, CSS, and images. And one thing do ensure your iPad's Safari browser supports service workers. By implementing service workers, your web app will be able to function offline seamlessly. You can find detailed tutorials and examples on service workers on resources like MDN Web Docs or Google Developers.