Link Hover States

Rich57

I would like to differentiate between(a) internal links that open in the same window, and(B) external links that open in a new windowby using a specific hover background colour. I know I can combine pseudo-classes and classnames from a w3schools example: a.classname:hover{}. However, this would involve adding a class to all my external links.All my external links have the target="_blank" attribute, but my attempts at using an attribute selector (e.g. a[target=_blank]:hover {}) and an independent attribute selector (e.g. target:hover {}) have failed. Should either of these work, or are they not widely supported? I'm using IE6 and Firefox 1.5.Richard

All my external links have the target="_blank" attribute, but my attempts at using an attribute selector (e.g. a[target=_blank]:hover {}) and an independent attribute selector (e.g. target:hover {}) have failed. Should either of these work, or are they not widely supported?
I don't know anything about a[target=_blank] - I've never seen that before - but you could use a javascript function to dynamically add classnames to your links on page load. This way you could use the traditional a.ExternalClassName:hover and a.InternalClassName:hover. Here's an example:
function HighlightAnchors(){	var anchors = document.getElementsByTagName("a");	var count = anchors.length;	var anchor;	for(var i = 0; i < count; i++)	{		anchor = anchors[i];		if(anchor.target == "_blank")		{			anchor.className = "External";		}		else		{			anchor.className = "Internal";		}	}}