clicking a link here makes all that stuff over there change...

dalewb

Hi, I am still learning a lot of this stuff and want to know how this can be accomplished:CSSquestionlr.jpgI could do it with Flash but I'm trying to stay away from anything that requires a plugin, as I am not totally sure about the technical requirements of my audience. I don't want the screen to have to refresh or direct the user to another url, I just want to be able to have a whole list of news dates/titles on the left and have each one load new data on the right when clicked.I'm not asking for someone to drop some code in my lap, just point me in the right direction - thanks.

Yes, AJAX and server-side scripting. Unless you want to send all of the content at once and simply hide/display it using javascript and CSS. You would cut down on bandwidth and load times, though, if you went the AJAX route.

Or, what you can do is keep all of the pages in seperate divs, and use simple javascript to set the displays of the divs to visible or hidden depending on what link the user clicked. :)

Or, what you can do is keep all of the pages in seperate divs, and use simple javascript to set the displays of the divs to visible or hidden depending on what link the user clicked. :)
Yes, I read about AJAX today and found it intriguing. With Chocolate's idea, would the divs be literally sitting on top of each other (absolute position, I guess, in different levels) and shown/hidden as the user clicks on links?If that is the case, well, it certainly would not be a very efficient means of doing such a thing. However, how long should I expect to need to spend learning AJAX? I am just starting to learn PHP, Javascript, and actionscript - I'm being buried under a load of code :). But seriously, I do need to figure this out relatively quick - just this one thing and then I can (kind of) take my time learning everything else.