3D game comparison table

Eep²

My 3D game comparison table is currently done without a database and is just a big complicated table (which I'd like to get sortable but the sortable Javascript I currently use can't handle the table correctly). Is there a better way to implement this table (without a database) and be able to automatically span exact results (i.e. "yes", "no", etc) across multiple rows/columns without having to use a database? I'd love to be able to just enter all the info into my form and have it appear in the table automatically, sortable, allow specific games/sections/features to only be displayed, etc. Any ideas? Thanks.

Well, the database already has everything that you need built-in. It can sort, it can select only those records that have certain values, you can find all records that relate to another record (all products in a category or whatever), filtering, adding, deleting, the database management system already does all of that. If you try to build your own file-based system to do all that, in addition to the normal form handling code that you have to do regardless, you'll also need to build the engine to store things in files, do lookups, sorting, filtering, etc. So not using a database is significantly more programming work then using the database. Judging by the form you have online, you have a pretty massive amount of information to keep track of. Most of the checkboxes and text boxes will need their own database field, it looks like you have over 1000 form elements on that page. Some of them might be able to all use 1 database field, like the list of weapons might all use one field, but either way it's going to be quite a bit of work to have that form work and be able to search the results. The bottom line is that this is programming work, and it really requires a programmer to do it right. It's definately something you can learn, the database interaction isn't very difficult to use, but it is a fair amount of work. It looks like there is a database error on the form page, apparently you are trying to use the database functions without connecting to the database first. Before you use mysql_query you need to use mysql_connect to connect to the database server, and then mysql_select_db to choose the database you are using.

Yea, before I switched web hosts a year or 2 ago, I had it working with the previous database, but the db was lost (wasn't much to it anyway) and I never bothered to fix all the calls. I had a rudimentary db going but it was (and is) just way too much work for me. I tried at least. I first attempted it on September 12, 2002 so I've been at it for a few years (off-and-on) without much success. I'm just not a programming grunt... I can do basic scripting but anything more intense and it thoroughly annoys/frustrates (i.e. bugs the living and long-since-dead s h i t out of) me. Programming just isn't natural to/for me. :) I'm just hoping someone else comes along and is inspired enough to want to "co-create" the db (though s/he'd probably be doing most of the work). Unfortunately, it doesn't appear anyone's interested (as usual when it comes to stuff I'm into). I'm more of an idea person. Ah well. Anyway, thanks for your replies.

Archived