putting your files on the web

smiles

Here is what I see in " Help and Support Center " of Window XpTo publish a file or folder to the Web1.Open My Computer. 2.Double-click a drive or folder. 3.Click the file or folder you want to publish to the Web. 4.Under File and Folder Tasks: 5.click Publish this folder to the Web-or- click Publish this file to the Web.6.Follow the instructions in the Web Publishing Wizard. could you tell me more about it ??? ( I don't see where " File and Folder Tasks " is ???) :)

I'd read the documentation on Microsoft's Website to get teh best understanding:http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...ish_to_web.mspxbut from what I understand, this technique publishes your site to the free space microsfot gives you when you create a Passport account with them - hotmail is part of Passort.Its another, fast food, approach to web publishing that many are comfortable with, but I (personally) feel actually over complicates the concept.Hope the link helps, let me know if there is something else that you might need clarified.

Those steps are only for Microsoft .NET passport holders :)If you haven't got MSN Messenger, MSN Hotmail, MSN Groups or MSN Spaces, you won't be able to use them :(I suggest searching a (free) host at the internet, download an FTP upload program if necessary and upload your site manually instead of such service. :)

"...the free space microsfot gives you when you create a Passport account with them - hotmail is part of Passort."I don't understand , the two "passport" in your say is similar ??? What about Yahoo mail , Gmail ...???"...a (free) host at the internet..."I don't understand why someone create it free for everyone , their kind or their another purposes ??? and how about quality of these freewebs ??? Could you recommend me some good freewebs :) Thanks

"...the free space microsfot gives you when you create a Passport account with them - hotmail is part of Passort."I don't understand , the two "passport" in your say is similar ??? What about Yahoo mail , Gmail ...???"...a (free) host at the internet..."I don't understand why someone create it free for everyone , their kind or their another purposes ??? and how about quality of these freewebs ??? Could you recommend me some good freewebs :)  Thanks

When you create a "Passport" account with Microsoft, it gives you centralized access to many Microsoft websites and their affiliates. Passport was supposed to be a "universal" login in application where Microsoft would get all these huge partners (actually included e-bay at one point) to use their centralized login. Anyway, if you create a Passport account ,you get free web hosting with it - and the technique you described using fits the description of how one would maintain their "passport" website. I do not think that Yahoo or Google gives you free web hosting when you use their e-mail services. You might get free web space from Yahoo is they happen to be partnered with the local DSL provider.Anyway, free hosting services will liter your website with ads. If you can afford $3 a month, then sign up with Crystal Tech (iribbit.net as your referral). I have over 20 clients there and their service is outstanding.

well I understood :) don't mind if I ask you silly questions , I am new to computer but the most important thing is I don't hate it :) so I want to ask : I see Yahoomail have many many client and one of them was given 2GB for exchange emails , so it 's really a very big memory for total , I want to know how Yahoo has it and stores it , a very big CPU ???thanks !!!

The servers of such services aren't on ordinary computers like your's and mine's, they are sort of supercomps :)That free hosts liter your website with ads, doesn't have to be true. I have a free host that doesn't give ads, and are not planning to. One hundred megabytes of storage, a few gigabytes of bandwidth, and you are responsable for the file transfer to your webdirectory. Great host indeed hea :) But erm, it is for European sites only, besides, their signups are temporarily closed.. for a while...I mean, there should be some of those hosts, that support free webspace without ads or popups etc. It is just a darn big search :DEdit: Europeans that can wait, keep checking http://www.dhost.info :(

Edited by Dan The Prof

well I understood  :) don't mind if I ask you silly questions ,  I am new to computer but the most important thing is I don't hate it  :) so I want to ask : I see Yahoomail have many many client and one of them was given 2GB for exchange emails , so it 's really a very big memory for total , I want to know how Yahoo has it and stores it , a very big CPU ???thanks !!!

Well, generally speaking, most places out there that offer free services (such as e-mail, web hosting, etc) will offer the service free to the customer, but will charge companies to advertise on those sites. This is not a hard rule, but merely a generality. And in the case of how Yahoo works, well they don't just have one computer that stores all the information, they actually have clusters of computers called server farms, Google has clusters of 1,000 computers that have the ability to store over 300 TeraBytes of information (thats 300,000,000 Megabytes). See http://wiki.media-culture.org.au/index.php...le-How_It_Works for where the information was obtained. So the answer to your question, is not a big CPU but rather a lot of CPUs and many, many large hard drives (hard drives actually contain the stored information, CPUs just process the data).Hope that answers your question somewhat.