What's The Difference Between These Java Options?

skaterdav85

They are different APIs - that is, sets of pre-written objects that can be used (e.g. String, Math, et cetera) in your applications. Java SE (or just "Java") is the standard edition, what you will use most of the time, while Java Enterprise Edition (EE) provides additional "enterprise" (as in, security, network and such) utilities that may be useful in big business settings. JavaFX, as described on their website, is for working with rich internet applications and complex graphical interfaces - a bit like Adobe Air.

ok thanks. that cleared it up for me. What about Java Web? That's one of the options for a new project on netbeans. I'm guessing thats Java and JSP?
Could be JSP - http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/.
Also, why would anyone choose Java SE over Java EE?
Well, you'll hardly ever need the things in the Enterprise Edition, also not all installations of Java have those libraries.

• 1 month later...
ok thanks. that cleared it up for me. What about Java Web? That's one of the options for a new project on netbeans. I'm guessing thats Java and JSP?Also, why would anyone choose Java SE over Java EE?
I use choose java SE because there are a lot more free open tutorials and resources on the web available also it was easier to grasp than the more structure EE classes.

Archived